Tuesday, November 1, 2022

November 1, 2022 Lunch - Bagel Sandwiches  Dinner - Greek Style Cooked Lamb Shank with New Recipe, Garden Green Mashed Potatoes


Today was simple food but amazing.


At 11:00 I sliced a Whole Wheat bagel into three slices which I toasted and spread with cream cheese and garnished with slices of red onion.  Then I lay slices of Dutch Smoked Gouda with cumin on two slices and cured ham on one and salami on the other.  On the third I lay slices of Gravad lax.


I made a cup of chai and enjoyed a light lunch.


After lunch I got AOL to help me restore my contacts and several more emails.


I lay down for a nap at 2:45 and slept until Nancy came by at 3:40 to pick herbs.  We picked small quantities of mint, tarragon, oregano, lavender, sage, and rosemary.  Suzette returned home while we were picking and showed Nancy how she ground basil into a powder that released its aroma and we gave her a package of herbs de Provence we had blended last Christmas.


Suzette picked a bunch of mint and made a quart of mint syrup by infusing mint in a simple syrup made by boiling 3 1/2 cups of sugar in 4 cups of water.  




At 5:00 we turned on the Shep Smith news program and made mojitos with rum, lime juice, mint syrup, and club soda.


We decided to heat one of the prepared Greek style lamb shank and make mashed potatoes with the greens from the garden.  I had had a reaction to the greens we cooked with the rice a week or two ago, so we agreed to boil the greens with the potatoes and hopefully toss any toxins from the greens out with the water. I peeled and cubed eight or nine Yukon Gold potatoes and de-stemmed the basket of mostly chard Suzette harvested from the garden. Suzette boiled and mashed the boiled greens and potatoes with cream and butter.  The potatoes took on a speckled coloring of green.




We really liked the lamb shank with the Garden Green Mashed Potatoes.


It was a simple but immensely comfortable meal.


Later we watched Finding Your Roots and game three of the World Series.  Phillies’ hitters hit four or five home runners and when we turned the TV off in the top of the 9th inning at 9:00, the Phillies were ahead 7 to 0. We opened the wedge of brie we recently bought at Costco and spread it on toasted and buttered slices of Baguette and I opened a bottle of Kirkland Cotes Du Rhone to sip with the cheese.  We liked the Cote Du Rhone and I will probably buy more bottles.


Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment