Wednesday, August 3, 2022

August 3, 2022 Lunch - 2000 Vietnam No. 30 Dinner - leftover No. 30. And Clafoutis

August 3, 2022 Lunch - 2000 Vietnam No. 30  Dinner - leftover No. 30. And Clafoutis 


Suzette worked for two hours cleaning and trimming the bushes in the side yard so the yard men would clear the piles when they came today.


I ate granola with milk and blueberries and yogurt for breakfast.


Then I finished the discussion notes for Klara and the Sun by Ishiguro and sent them out.


I then drove to a dental appointment at 10:00.  After the appointment I drove to Talin and bought a can of black beans, pink grouper, tahini, white beech mushrooms, and Shanghai baby bok Choy.


I then called 2000 Vietnam and ordered No. 30’s for Willy and me and stir-fried noodles with vegetables and shrimp for Suzette.  I had arranged to meet Willy and Suzette at home vat 12:00 and I was 10 minutes late, which I thought was pretty good.


Willy called when I was driving home and met me at the garage when I arrived to help carry in the groceries and lunches.


Suzette drank water, Willy drank a Pellegrino, and I made an iced Vietnamese coffee. I only ate 2/3 of my lunch and Willy put the rest in the fridge for me.


                                Suzette’s stir-fried noodles with vegetables and shrimp    


                                                               No. 30


We had a good conversation and I was happy that Willy said he was enjoying his position and finally satisfied with his salary.


After lunch Suzette ran errands and I finished editing my brief and working with Sally to put in proper form.  I filed it at 3:30.


I then drove payment to Sally and then went to the bank and then returned  Klara and the Sun to the library.


I returned home a bit before 5:00.


I had a gin and tonic and rested and watched the news.  Suzette had her cocktail in the TV room so she could watch home remodeling shows on HGTV.


At 6:00 I went back to the TV room and discussed dinner.  Suzette was satiated from eating lunch and did not wish to cook.


So I made clafoutis. I stirred the cherries that been marinating over night with 1 1/2 T. of cognac and 1 T. of Grand Marnier.


I buttered a ceramic baking dish and dusted it with granulated sugar. I preheated the oven to 375 degrees. Then scalded I 1/2 cups each of heavy cream and whole milk. I then measured 8 T. of flour and 10 T. of powdered sugar into a bowl and added 1/2 tsp. of salt.  I then whisked three eggs and mixed them into the dry ingredients. When the milk created a glaze on top I turned off the heat and let it cool.


I then added as I strained the scalded milk into the ingredients and stirred the last clots of flour into solution.


I then added the 4 cups of marinated pitted cherry halves to the bowl of ingredients and stirred to mix everything thoroughly.


I the poured the mixture into the buttered baking dish and Suzette helped me put it on a cookie sheet and into the oven.  We reduced the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees and baked the clafoutis for 53 minutes.




Suzette and I watched another episode of The Lincoln Lawyer and the ate small bowls of warm clafoutis.  I could not discern the cognac or Grand Marnier flavor.  Everything tasted like Clafoutis to me. In fact this was one of the better clafoutis. It was creamier and the flour tended to stay in suspension.


Suzette was in bed by 9:00 and I followed soon after. Neither of us slept well last night nor took an afternoon nap.


While Suzette slept I blogged and read.


We both had a busy day but Suzette’s was much more strenuous than mine.


Bon Appetit 


No comments:

Post a Comment