Wednesday, May 6, 2020

May 5, 2020 Lunch – Big Roasted Pork Salad. Dinner – Hamburgers with Sautéed Mushrooms on Romaine lettuce leaves with tomato slices and steamed Cauliflower and Broccoli

May 5, 2020 Lunch – Big Roasted Pork Salad. Dinner – Hamburgers with Sautéed Mushrooms on Romaine lettuce leaves with tomato slices and steamed Cauliflower and Broccoli

I ate Whitefish on toasted French baguette smeared with cream cheese and garnished with red onion slices with green tea for breakfast.




I worked until 12:30 and went to the bank.

When I returned home I made an extra large bowl of salad with cubed roasted pork, a tomato cubed, ¼ cucumber peeled and sliced, thin slices of red onion, a hard boiled egg sliced, and kalamata olives.  I reconstituted the salad dressing with juice of ½ lemon and about two T. of olive oil.  I also heated a slice of the bacon and cheese and Chard quiche left from Sunday brunch.



I worked until 4:00 and then watched Mad Money but dozed for about ½ hour until Suzette arrived at 5:00.

This was another day of profit but the Dow is headed downward.  It dropped from over 400 points during the day to 133 at the close.  I did okay (up about .75%) thanks to the buoyant tech stocks and oil continuing to go up.

At 5:15 I rode five miles to the South.

When I returned we decided to make hamburgers with the fresh ground beef Suzette bought at Smith’s today.

I also cut a head of broccoli into flowerets and added several flowerets from a head of cauliflower and went to the garden to pick four sprigs of thyme while Suzette sliced several mushrooms.  While I minced ½ of a shallot Suzette started the ingredients sautéing.  I opened a bottle of 2016 Chateau Roudier Montagne- St. Emillon and then sliced a Roma tomato. Suzette grilled the hamburgers on the outdoor propane grill.


We ate as we watched Rachel Maddow rant until we got tired of the rant and changed to watch a PBS documentary of Elizabeth Ii’s activities during World War II.  She was born in 1926 or 1927 and was 21 in 1947, so her youth and coming of age was during the war.  She was the only monarch to serve in the military during the war and the first English monarch to serve in the military in over 450 years according to the documentary.  She served in the female corps, AFS, as a 1.5 ton lorry and ambulance driver, but there were female units that served as radar spotters in anti-aircraft positions who saw real combat.

I did not like the heavily merlot component of the 2016 Chateau Roudier and did not think it complemented the hamburger particularly well ($12.99 at Trader Joe’s).

We made Gravad Lax after dinner. It was the usual Swedish recipe of ½ cup of sugar, 2/3 cup of salt and ½ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper. per three lb. of  salmon. We were able to obtain two fresh bunches of dill  on Saturday from El Super and Suzette bought a 2.5 lb. salmon fillet yesterday, so we had all the fresh ingredients.

At 8:30 we soaked our tired and sore bodies in the hot tub and went to bed at 9:30.

I tried to blog but could not stay awake, so went to bed at 10:00 or 10:30 and slept soundly until a bit after 4:00 when I finished this blog.

Tomorrow we will make hummus .  I have been soaking dried garbanzo beans for a day. I may also make tropical fruit salad, since Suzette bought a pineapple yesterday at Costco to complete the ingredients needed.

Bon Appetit









No comments:

Post a Comment