Thursday, May 21, 2020

May 21, 2020 Lunch – Duck Posole and a Pork Tamale Dinner – a French Picnic Plate: foie gras, brie cheese, pickled beets and red onion, sliced cornichons and a sliced pickled egg

May 21,  2020 Lunch – Duck Posole and a Pork Tamale   Dinner – a French Picnic Plate: foie gras, brie cheese, pickled beets and red onion, sliced cornichons and a sliced pickled egg

I ate a bowl of granola, blueberries, yogurt, and milk for breakfast.

Thanks to our relative Peter Simon we discovered there was unclaimed property we could claim in Texas, so I filed a claim for Mother’s trusty and myself.

At 11:30 I got hungry for something with carbs.  I melted a 32 oz. of Duck Posole and a Tamale.



At 2:30 I drove to the bank and then drove to Stone Canyon and picked up Willy’s belt.

When I returned home I checked the market and found out I loss about .6%.

I then read Educated until 5:00 when I rode five miles south leaving when Suzette arrived.

When I returned I rested for a while and then pitted about 8 cups of fresh cherries, for for a Clafoutis and four for Suzette to make maraschino cherries.  The recipe Suzette created for maraschino cherries was 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of brandy and 1/2 cup of Amaretto liquor

After she made the cherries, we decided to eat a cold picnic of the type we ate on our trips to France: a piece of brie cheese, a slice of foie gras, a pickled beet, several sliced cornichons, some pickled red onions and a  dsliced pickled egg with toasted buttered slices of French Baguette.  I opened a bottle of Murphy Goode Pinot Noir because Pinot Noir is a good complement to cheese and foie gras.


After dinner I sprinkled the 4 cups of cherries with Grande Marnier.

I scalded 2 cups of 4% milk and 1 cup of heavy cream and let it cool.  I then mixed 7 T. of flour, 10 T. powdered sugar, and ½ tsp. of salt in a mixing bowl and whisked four eggs in a bowl and added them to the dry ingredients and stirred until smooth and then added the seized scalded milk and stirred the batter.  I buttered and sugared a ceramic casserole dish and pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees.  Then I poured the batter and cherries into the casserole and put it on a cookie sheet and baked it for 55 minutes until the custard was firm.


I ate a small bowl of warm Clafoutis. It tasted wonderful. A soft custard filled with fresh cherries.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment