Thursday, May 21, 2020

May 20, 2020 Lunch – Chicken Salad Salad. Dinner – PPI Grilled Lamb Chop with reconstituted Tzaziki and Tabouli and sautéed Green Beans, almonds, and Mushrooms

May 20, 2020 Lunch – Chicken Salad Salad. Dinner – PPI Grilled Lamb Chop with reconstituted Tzaziki and Tabouli and sautéed Green Beans, almonds, and Mushrooms

The most exciting adventure of the day occurred early.  I went grocery shopping at Lowe’s at 7:00.  At 7:00 when the store opens everything is clean and the shelves all stocked.  I sanitized when I walked in the door.  For some reason I forgot to wear a gloves, which was great because I realized that an important part of shopping for produce is the ability to feel the firmness of the produce, which seems rather primordial.  I went to the produce section first.  I bought cilantro, Italian parsley, beets, acorn squash, bananas, tomatoes, a ½ gallon of Blue Bell vanilla ice cream, avocados, a green mango, a papaya, two eggplants, and three cucumbers.  I then looked around for other things we had listed like animal crackers for Suzette’s seniors, a bag of ginger snaps for us, braunschweiger, ground beef, tonic water, pita bread, a bottle of President’s brandy, and a 10 lb. bag of chicken leg quarters as I stood in line to check out I grabbed a bag of donuts.  One of the purposes for shopping was to replenish the ingredients needed to replenish the tabouli and Tzatziki so we could eat those with the PPI grilled lamb chops from last night.

After I returned home and unloaded everything I made a breakfast of granola, yogurt, and tropical fruit salad. And watched the Market and saw that the rally back from the February lows was continuing so I put my Moderna and Apple positions back on.  I will wait for a drop hopefully to put a Google back on.

After doing a bit of work I watched Governor Cuomo as I reconstituted the Tzatziki sauce and the tabouli.  It took about 1 ½ hours to chop everything; 5 green onions, 2 tomatoes, salt, ½ cucumber, 1 bunch of Italian parsley, a handful of mint plus lemon juice, add the 1 cup additional bulgur that had soaked in water for two days, and olive oil for the tabouli and ¾ cup of yogurt, lemon juice, 1 clove of pressed garlic, a handful of chopped mint, olive oil, ½ cucumber (peeled, seeded, and diced) and salt for the Tzatziki.  I went to the garden to pick mint for the Tzatziki and tabouli.  The result was very edible.



Suzette was working from home today so at noon we began preparing a salad.  Suzette tore a head of Romaine lettuce.  I diced a tomato and Suzette peeled, ladled scoops of chicken salad onto the salad and lay sliced avocado on top and two sliced strawberries on the side of the plate. We poured out the last of the rose and took our glasses and salads to the garden to eat.



 When we finished lunch at 1:45 I checked the market close and found that I had a healthy gain for the day as the rally continues and oil continues to rise. After I determined that I had a respectable
1.3% gain I lay in bed and read Educated until 4:15 when Governor Grisham held a 45 minute news conference.

During the governor’s press conference I sliced up the rest of the strawberries and Suzette put a pretty, large spoonful of sugar on them and stirred it in to coat them with sugar and I opened the bottle
Mexican Presidente Brandy I had bought in the morning and sprinkled the coated strawberries with brandy.  We put the strawberries in the fridge to become brandied.

We waited until 6:00 to prep dinner because everything we wanted was already prepared, the lamb, the Tzatziki, and the tabouli were ready to serve. I only needed to prep the green beans.

Sautéed Green beans with Almonds and mushrooms

I cut the haricot vert from Costco in halves and checked to see that the tough ends had been snipped off.  Then I sautéed a handful of slivered almonds in a medium non- stick skillet to brown the almonds. I then added about 2 T. of butter and 1 T. of olive oil and the green beans.  I the minced and added ½ of a Shallot and three mushrooms sliced. I covered the skillet with the wok cover to sweat the green beans and after a few minutes added 2 T. of Amontillado sherry to steam the beans a bit more and create a light sauce.



Suzette heated the lamb chops in the microwave and plated our plates with a chop and a pile of tabouli and a spoonful of Tzatziki and divided the green beans between the two plates.


We decided to drink the last of the 1/3 bottle of. Chateau Routier to complete our excellent PPI dinner.

We carried our glasses and plates to the gazebo and ate a pleasant dinner.

When we returned to the house Suzette suggested we walk.  I was feeling fit so we walked ¾ mile at 7:30.  We took our masks so we were prepared for a conversation when we saw Stefan Watson ride by on his bike. We talked to Stefan for a few minutes and the walked home.

When we returned home we watched two more episodes of The Crown and then went to bed.

The amazing thing about the evening was what we did not do. We did not eat any dessert or anything after dinner.

As we went to bed I told Suzette, “We did good tonight.”

She agreed.

It appears that our regimen of lighter Mediterranean style meals and exercise may be taking hold.

As our President says, “What have you got to lose, except your tummy?”

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment