Thursday, May 28, 2020

May 28, 2020 Lunch – Take out from Monroe’s Dinner – Tuna and Octopus Sashimi with Grilled Pink Grouper, Sushi Rice, and Japanese Pickled Vegetables

May 28, 2020 Lunch – Take out from Monroe’s   Dinner – Tuna and Octopus Sashimi with Grilled Pink Grouper, Sushi Rice, and Japanese Pickled Vegetables

I bought another 100 shares of Facebook at the open.  It went up through most of the day but then the Market fell to a 148 point loss toward the close.  Facebook still ended about $.30 below where I bought it. Tomorrow if it keeps dropping I will buy another 100 shares and put my original position back on.

Moderna went back up about $3.00 but it was not enough to keep my portfolio positive.

I peeled a Taiwan daikon I bought at Talin several days ago and sliced ½ of it into thin strips with the vegetable peeler, cut them into 1 ½ inch long pieces and put them into the bowl of Japanese pickled vegetables so they would pickle a bit by dinner.

I ate granola, fruit salad, yogurt, and milk for breakfast, then watched Governor Cuomo and then did a Zoom book club meeting discussing Butchers’ Crossing.

Suzette was wonderful.  When the first 11:00 meeting failed to start on time she hosted another meeting on Zoom that lasted until 12:30.

Loyda came to clean, so we decided to go get take out at Monroe’s new location on 4th St. near Mountain Rd.

I ordered carne adovado enchiladas with extra beans and Suzette ordered her favorite, a green Chile cheese burger with French fries.




We took the food home and fetched catsup for Suzette and I chopped some onion for my enchiladas.  I grabbed a couple of Estrella Jalisco beers and we ate at the table under the gazebo in the garden.  It was a particularly bright sunny day. Here is a picture of the blooming lavender plants.


After lunch I lay down for a nap until 4:30.

When I woke up I began to prep dinner because we were on I tight schedule this afternoon with a 6:00 Zoom cocktail party with Linda and T.R. in Sayulita, then dinner with a Willy at 7:00 until 8:00.

Sushi rice

I first made 1 ½ cups of sushi rice by heating 3 cups of water with 2 T. of rice vinegar, 2 T. of sugar, 1
 tsp. of dried kombu seaweed and 1 tsp. of salt.  When the water came to a boil I added 1 ½ cups of rice and covered the pot and reduced the heat to its lowest level and simmer the rice for 30 minutes.

I then poured soy into small dipping bowls and added a healthy squirt of wasabi sauce.

Then I cut the cooked approximately.75 lb. octopus tentacle and .8 lb. piece of sushi grade Aji Tuna I bought at Talin two days ago and arranged the slices on a plate.  Here is a picture.

We then spent a very pleasant hour talking to a Linda and T.R. on Zoom.  As we finished our conversation, Willy arrived.

I poured a Willy a glass of the 2012 ClineFamily Old Vines Mouvedre and Suzette s glass of the Chateau Le Freynelle White Bordeaux.




I made myself a cup of green tea, which I prefer with Sashimi.

The Grilled Pink Grouper

Suzette salted and peppered and lay the extra Pink Grouper fillet on lemon slices and placed pats of butter on it and grilled it on the gas grill outside.

I then filled rice bowls with sushi rice and fetched the jar of pickled ginger and Japanese pickled vegetables and we took everything to the table under the gazebo in the garden.

When Suzette brought the Grouper it was not fully cooked so she microwaved it until it was done.  She brought it to the table and divided it into 3 pieces and gave each of us a piece.  The Grouper was beautifully cooked, moist and full of flavor.




We enjoyedO  it with our Sashimi. At 7:50 we carried all the leftovers back into the house and Willy left for his meeting with a friend at his apartment and Suzette and I watched the two episodes of Midsommer Murders until 9:30 and MSNBC coverage of the fires and looting in Minneapolis until 10:00 when Suzette went to sleep and I started blogging.

It is sad that there are riots in Minneapolis.  It does not show restraint. What it does show is the raw hatred of the police for killing a defenseless black man and a cry out for justice for the killing.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment