Thursday, May 14, 2020

May 13, 2020 Lunch – Meatloaf, Potato slices, and broccoli. Dinner –New Recipe Sautéed Teriyaki Salmon and Shrimp with Grilled Asparagus and Pickled Beets

May 13, 2020 Lunch – Meatloaf, Potato slices, and broccoli. Dinner –New Recipe  Sautéed Teriyaki Salmon and Shrimp with Grilled Asparagus and Pickled Beets

I made an Egg Foo Young Omelet in my wok this morning.  I chopped onion, a small baked potato, a clove of garlic, and a handful of green beans.  I first sautéed about ¼ lb. of  Jimmie Dean sausage and then added the onion, green beans, and potato.  Then I chopped about 1 T. of sage leaves and added those to the wok along with three stirred eggs mixed with the last tsp. of the anchovy vinaigrette from last night’s dinner after another ten minutes.   I turned down the heat and let the entire mass of eggs stand on the other ingredients for about ten minutes until it had almost congealed.  Then I turned the mass in three parts with a spatula and cooked the formerly uncooked top for a minute or two.

I then served pieces of it.  I ate ½ and Suzette ate ¼ and I stored ¼.

At 11:00 I drove to my podiatry pedicure at Barstow and Carmel and afterwards to the Trader Joe’s at Carmel and Ventura.  There was a line of about ten people waiting  six feet apart but it moved quickly as an employee wiped the handle of a cart for each new customer and let them enter as each shopper left the store. Every employee was masked and almost every shopper. I found everything I needed, except a wedge of Iberico cheese.  I bought a wedge of St. Andre cheese instead.  I also bought a jar of cornichons, a French baguette, a box of olive and fig crackers, two 8 oz. boxes of dark chocolate truffles, four 17 oz. bars of 72% dark chocolate for Suzette’s baker, two bottles of cognac Chevalier VS, and thirteen bottles of wine; a Trader Joe’s Platinum Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, two Aquino Reserva Chiantis, two Origon Gran Reserva reds, a Famille Perrin White Cotes du Rhone, a Sagnol French rose’, a Crayon French Rose’, a Reichart German Rose’ of Pinot Noir, a Donna Luisa Amontillado sherry, a Tavel, and two more. The total was $194.00.  Several of the bottles had increased $1.00 each.  When I mentioned the increases to Suzette when I returned home she said, “That is what happens when Total Wine is closed.”  I was happy because I stocked up our daily wine inventory.



When I returned home I was hungry, so I made a plate with a slice of meatloaf, some steamed broccoli, and a sliced PPI baked potato.  Suzette made a meatloaf sandwich on slices of toasted French baguette smeared with mayo and I finished my lunch with the last thin toasted piece of baguette buttered and garnished with pieces of French Brie cheese to finish the glass of Origon Gran Reserva red wine I drank with lunch.


The market marched lower another 500 points today. If it does not stop going down I will start selling tomorrow. As I write the blog at 2:45 a.m. the European markets are all down. It is hard to determine if that is a response to the 1000 point drop in the Dow in the US over the last two days or an indicator of more of a drop to come. I am prepared to sell again to hold on to some of my gains. There seems to be strong downward pressure worldwide as most companies and countries are posting deficits and losses.

At 3:00 I lay down but got a phone call so only got a 20 minute nap.  Suzette made her famous rhubarb and strawberry compote by cooking rhubarb stems, strawberries and sugar.

At 4:00 Suzette came in and we watched Governor Grisham’s news conference for an hour.  Most of the reported 5200 cases are in five of the 23 NM counties, Bernalillo, Sandoval, McKinley, Cibola, and San Juan. The state will start to reopen this Saturday and everyone must wear a mask in public. The cutest part of the Governor’s presentation was her demonstration of how to make a face mask with two hair ties and a bandana.

When I returned home we put five of the white and rose wines into the garage fridge to chill them.

At 5:15 we started to cook dinner. Suzette thawed 8 large shrimp and she snapped the ends off one of
the two bunches of thick asparagus Willy bought us at Smith’s last week.  We made a fast simple dinner.

Suzette sautéed the remaining piece of teriyaki salmon in a large skillet with the teriyaki marinade and the shelled and thawed shrimp.  She tossed the asparagus in a gallon freezer bag with salt and pepper and olive oil and grilled them outside until tender and then wrapped them in aluminum foil to steam and finish cooking off the heat.  This method imparts a charbroiled flavor without burning or charring them.

While Suzette cooked I made a gin and tonic and watched the news.

We added several pieces of pickled Ed’s pickled beets to our plates. I fetched the Reichart Rose of Pinot Noir from the garage fridge and poured two glasses.



We loved the lighter because we knew we would eat dessert later.

I heated a square of blueberry cobbler and added a scoop of vanilla ice cream and Suzette ate some rhubarb/strawberry compote with vanilla ice cream and we watched an episode of The Crown and went to bed at 9:00 p.m.

Bon Appetit












No comments:

Post a Comment