Monday, May 18, 2020

May 18, 2020 Lunch – Chicken Miso Noodle Soup. Dinner – Grilled Lamb Chops and Asparagus with Tzatziki and Tabouli

Some days are unexpectedly magical.  Today was one of them.

I awakened at 4:45 to the news that
Moderna had completed its phase 1 testing of its proposed corona viruvs vaccine with positive results and had been approved by the NIH for phase 2 testing.  More importantly its vaccine had achieved positive antibody immunity.  This puts Moderna in the lead in the hunt for a vaccine for corona virus and the market went wild riding over 1000 points at its high and ending up 912 points with Moderna going up 11 points.  At the end of February when I sold many of my portfolio positions, I bought 1000 shares of Moderna, so today’s increase for me was a big deal.  Even though I have liquidated 40% of my positions, I still had my best day ever, with my denuded portfolio riding 3.5% instead of 4 or 5%. Even though I made a mistake by selling my positions rather than putting stop sell orders on them, this was the best day for my portfolio in my recollection. And there may be more upside for Moderna if it vaccine wins the race to a proven safe vaccine.

I ate tropical fruit, yogurt, and granola for breakfast.then I rested for about 30 minutes and then rode my bike 4 miles south.  When I came home I rested and sent out a bill and at 11:00 made soup for my lunch.

I chopped up the remaining chicken leg from the chicken we roasted last week and added it to 1 ½ quarts of water with pulse seaweed, PPI broccoli, Knorr dehydrated chicken stock, a heaping T. of red miso, 4 oz. of diced firm tofu, and a handful of 40 mm.rice wafer and a bundle of wheat vermicelli noodles, plus 1 ½ T. of Chinese Rice wine and 1 tsp. Of sesame oil.  I ate two bowls and out the third one into the fridge to eat tomorrow.


For much of the afternoon I read Educated, sort of a Idaho Mormon
Hillbilly Elegy.

We had thawed out five lamb chops for dinner tonight yesterday and this morning.

At 4:30 I started making tabouli and Tzatziki to complement the grilled lamb chops.  Here is a photo of the tabouli ingredients.
I picked a Lebanese tabouli recipe that included both parsley and mint.

I had only 1 Roma tomato and the recipe called 4 and 2 cucumbers, so I halved the recipe.  I never know when the recipe calls for ½ cup of bulghur if that is before soaking or after.  I soaked ¾ cup of No. 2 Bulgar that turned into 1 ½ cups of softened Bulgar.

I combined 1 cup of Bulgar soaked for about 2 hours with 4/5 bunch of  parsley, about the same amount of fresh mint picked from our garden today, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tomato, ½ cucumber peeled and diced and salted with 1 ½ tsp. of salt, a clove of garlic pressed, 3 T. of olive oil and juice of ½ lime.




I then made Tzatziki, with the other ½ cucumber finely diced, ½ cup of mint, juice of 1/2 lemon, ¾ cup of Greek yogurt, 1/3 cup of chopped mint, 1 ½ T. of olive oil, and ½ tsp. of salt.

Suzette arrived at 5:00 and came to the kitchen after she showered.  She texted Willy and Willy said he would arrive at 6:30.

Suzette salted and peppered the lamb chops and coated the last seven large stalks of asparagus with olive oil and peppered and salted the artichoke stalks. Suzette then grilled the lamb and asparagus.

I went to the basement looking for a Cotes Du Rhône but the best I could find was a bottle of 2013 Beaujolais imported by Kermit Lynch.

Willy arrived at 7:00 after Suzette had plated a grilled chop and several grilled asparagus and a healthy dollop of each of Tzatziki and tabouli on each plate.




We ate outside under the gazebo.  Then Suzette gave a Willy a tour of the gardens, especially the pecan shell mulch on ½ of the trees on the nascent orchard, while I plucked some scapes that have recently appeared on the garlic plants, so the bulb will grow larger.

We then went back inside and Willy said goodnight.

We then watched the rest of the Antique Roadshow and some of the 11th Hour.  Suzette ate the last of the yogurt with some rhubarb and strawberry compote.

Suzette went to bed at 9:30 and I followed at 11:00 after blogging.

Bon Appetit











No comments:

Post a Comment