Wednesday, May 13, 2020

May 12, 2020 Lunch – Pork Fried Rice. Dinner – New Recipe. Grilled Rib Steak with Anchovy Vinaigrette sliced tomato and stir fried green beans with mushrooms and toasted almond slivers

May 12, 2020 Lunch – Pork Fried Rice. Dinner – New Recipe. Grilled Rib Steak with Anchovy Vinaigrette sliced tomato and stir fried green beans with mushrooms and toasted almond slivers

I woke up at 4:40 and watched the news and went back to sleep and slept until 8:00, which is when the Senate Health Committee began hearings to consider the pandemic.  I listened to all of it and then worked a bit until 1:00 when I decided to make stir fried rice with the leftover sushi rice and pork tenderloin, plus onion, green beans, ginger and garlic.  The dish prep was straightforward, I chopped onion, garlic, ginger, green beans, and pork.  I heated 1 T. of peanut oil and added all the ingredients except the pork and rice.  After a few minutes I added the rice and after 3 minutes more I added the pork and a sliced hard boiled egg.  The dish was delicious but I was only able to eat ½.  I put the other half in a container for later and Suzette ate some when she came home




I recorded my loss for the Day, just under 2%. The Dow plummeted 457 points for the day or about 2%.  No surprise.

I need to start selling to reserve my gains.

At 3:00 I went to the bank.

When I returned home Suzette had arrived and was on a conference call.  I took a steak out f the freezer to thaw, made a drink, and watched the news until she finished her web conference.

I had received an email with the Food and Wine Best Young Chefs in America that included a

favorite dish for each.  One recipe in particular caught my eye, a steak tartare garnished with with a red onion vinaigrette made with pickled red onion, anchovies, capers and cornichons.  It looked interesting. I showed it to Suzette and we agreed it was a low calorie alternative to our usual béarnaise sauce for steak.

The vegetable was the issue. We only have three vegetables, cauliflower, broccoli, and green beans.  For a while Cauliflower broccoli Couscous was favored.  But finally, Suzette said “I would like the green beans and toasted almond slivers, and you could add mushrooms to that.”  Done.

The Anchovy Vinaigrette

We used some of the juice from the jar of pickled beets that Ed gave and I sliced several thin slices of red onion to marinate in the pickling medium in the fridge for an hour or two.

Then I finely minced four or five anchovy fillets and capers and cornichons and chopped the pickled red onions and added a dash of sriracha and Worcestershire sauce and some olive oil and let the vinaigrette sit until dinner.





Green Beans with toasted almonds and mushrooms

I cut the green beans to 2 to 3 inch lengths and sliced 4 mushrooms and first sautéed a handful of almond slivers in my wok and then added the mushrooms and green beans and a clove of garlic peeled and minced.

I sautéed them in 1 T. of olive oil and 1 T. of butter and then covered the wok and sweated the green beans at medium heat until tender.

Suzette salted and peppered the steak and grilled it on the gas grill to rare and I sliced two tomatoes.

Before dinner we opened a bottle of 2018 Piazanno Chianti and let it air out a bit.  It was a lovely smooth wine that did not clash with the strongly flavored Vinaigrette.




I loved the meal and ate vinaigrette with everything, but Suzette did not eat much of her vinaigrette.


I loved the meal and had a slice of brie with the last of my wine and then went the whole French meal circuit and had a cognac mixed with Grand Marnier and several chocolate truffles and a cup of chai as we watched several episodes of the Crown.

A lovely day of food including an interesting new recipe.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment