Wednesday, March 9, 2022

March 9, 2022 Lunch - 2000 Vietnam. Dinner - Fresh Dungeness Crab Salad

March 9, 2022 Lunch - 2000 Vietnam.  Dinner - Fresh Dungeness Crab Salad 

I was up 3 hours during the night transfixed in front of the TV watching the Russians destroy Ukraine.  When is the world going to wake up and stop Putin’s madness.


I slept from 6:30 until 8:30 then I watched some TV and worked a little.  The market had finally reversed from negative to positive with the Dow moving up to over 400 points and then took a shower and got ready for my 10:00 appointment with Mike and Al, two old friends who help me when I need them to.


They needed a note, a mortgage and a release of mortgage for a transaction.  I knew to call the escrow Company and obtain its requirements for opening a new escrow also.


In 2 1/4 hours we accomplished everything and I invited them to lunch.


I suggested 2000 Vietnam, since it is one of my favorites. Mike and I ordered Duck leg soup with rice vermicelli and Al ordered Beef wrapped shrimp with jasmine rice.  Both are signature dishes at 2000 Vietnam in my opinion.  Mike and I both took big cups filled with soup home and Al finished his.  I think they enjoyed their lunch.  If not, they had no regrets because I was buying.


We all liked our food and I loved talking to them since we are of similar ages and all still very active.


We started lunch at 1:00 and finished at 2:20.


When I arrive home I checked the Market close and was more than pleasantly surprised.  The Dow ended up 653 and the NASDAQ ended up 460.  I regained everything I lost yesterday, an almost 3% gain.


The sharp traders are making a fortune by selling on the big upswings like today and buying on the huge dips like yesterday.


Suzette booked our trip to the Anderson Valley Pinot Noir Festival.  Due to the high price of gas, it is now cheaper to fly, rent a car, and stay in motels than the cost of gas because the camper travels about 8 miles to the gallon and gas is $5.00 to $6.00 per gallon.  We figured we would spend over $1000, just on gas and would spend six extra days driving.


Finally, I lay down at 4:45 to rest.


At 5:30 I got up because Suzette was talking about dinner.  I suggested making crab salad with 1 of the two crabs I bought and picking the other crab for crab soup, which what we usually do.


The new crab product at Costco is the best I have ever found.  It is fresh cooked crab that has been cleaned so that all you pay for is the central core of white lump meat in matrix and the claws. It is a terrific product and one for which I am willing to pay $19.99/lb.


The two crabs for about $38.00 will produce two or three meals usually; fresh crab salad, a crab soufflé, and/or a crab, corn, and asparagus soup.


There was no prep required for the crab. We simply lay romaine lettuce leaves in a pasta bowl, I diced a Roma tomato and peeled and diced 1/3 of a cucumber and we opened the 4.4 lb. container of seaweed salad I had bought at Talin two days ago and Suzette placed a large spoonful in the bowl and I made a dressing.


The dressing I make is a modified crab Louie dressing. I minced 1/4 shallot and covered it with the juice of 1/2 lemon that I let sit for about 20 to 30 minutes to cook.  Then I added catsup, horseradish, and mayonnaise. I checked the flavor and added a bit more catsup and Mayo tonight to blunt the strong citrus flavor.




                                Suzette’s crab, tomato, seaweed, and cucumber lettuce wrap

We drank the rest of the bottle of Gruner Vitlander I bought at Trader Joe’s for $5.99 or $6.99.


We made lettuce wraps by placing crab, tomato, seaweed salad and cucumber on pieces of lettuce and drizzling them with the dressing.


It is hard to describe how fabulous fresh Dungeness crab is for dinner.  It has all its natural juices intact, just like you would find of the wharf in San Francisco


We picked the other crab and deposited the shells into a large sauce pan and saved the crab in a plastic bag.


Suzette added a mirepoix and water to the shells and simmered it for two hours to make a crab broth that we will use to make the crab, corn, and asparagus soup.


After dinner we watched an episode of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and then Suzette went to bed and I blogged until 10:00.


Salmon for dinner tomorrow.


Bon Appetit 











No comments:

Post a Comment