Friday, March 18, 2022

March 18, 2022 Lunch - Caesar Salad with Foie Gras sandwiches. Dinner Grilled Rib Steak and Asparaguses and Baked Potatoes and Sautéed Mushrooms

 March 18, 2022 Lunch - Caesar Salad with Foie Gras sandwiches. Dinner  Grilled Rib Steak and Asparaguses and Baked Potatoes and Sautéed Mushrooms


What a wonderful day of food and Market activity.


I ate a bowl of granola with milk and blueberries and yogurt for breakfast.


The I worked on my brief until 1:30. I made a Caesar salad with a tomato, sliced Pecorino-Romano cheese, sliced onion, slices of salami, and anchovy fillets with a lemon infused Caesar dressing.


I toasted a slice of pumpkin bread and spread the two slices with butter and foie gras.  I drank a glass of water.



At 2:00 when the market closed I checked my portfolios and they were up an amazing 3% today.  There are two ways of looking at my portfolios.  I was up 21% from last year’s finish and then in the last month there was a complete reversal of that gain. In the last week I have regained 7% of that lose, so I am either 7% up from last year or 14% down from my high this year.


I will take the more conservative position and say I am up 7%.


 I worked until 4:30 and then walked to Kit Carson Park and back, about 10 blocks in the warm 63 degree weather.


As soon as I grabbed a glass of water and sat down Suzette arrived after a busy day.  She poured herself a scotch and water and sat and we watched the news until 6:30 when I sliced 1/2 shallot, six large mushrooms, six small cloves of garlic and fetched a tsp. of dried tarragon and the amontillado sherry.  


I then melted 3 T. of butter and 1 T. of olive oil in a skillet. I sautéed the minced shallot and garlic and the added the mushroom slices. I sautéed them until the6 softened and added the sherry and turned the heat off to wait for Suzette to grill the steak and asparagus.


These were the large asparagus. Suzette shook a dozen asparagus in a freezer bag with olive oil, salt, and pepper to coat the stalks.


Suzette then grilled the steak and asparagus on the propane grill outside.


After a few minutes I turned the heat on the mushrooms and finished cooking them in a couple of minutes.


Soon Suzette brought in the grilled steak and asparaguses and we removed the potatoes from the oven. This was one of the rib eye steaks we cut from the slab of rib steaks I bought for $5.99/lb. in December.


I opened a bottle of De Ponte 2016 Dundee Hills Pinot Noir about 20 minutes before the meal was ready and let it open a bit.


Suzette plated the potato and asparaguses and I sliced the steak and poured the wine.  The wine is tasting better than ever.  It is smooth as silk and has an incredibly smooth finish.  I am glad I bought a case of it several years ago and bought a case of the De Ponte 2019 Reserve Pinot Noir this year.  French Bonne Mar from the Cote de Or is my standard against which I judge all Pinots. The 2016 De Ponte is as close to Bonne Mar Burgundy as any American Pinot I have ever tasted.  That is why I keep drinking it.





An impeccable dinner.


After dinner we watched another episode of The Last Kingdom while suzette sipped cognac and I sipped Calvados and we ate some chocolate.


Suzette went to bed at 10:00 and I followed after writing this blog.


Bon Appetit 

No comments:

Post a Comment