Sunday, March 20, 2022

March 20, 2022 Brunch - Corned Beef Hash with a poached egg and toast

 March 20, 2022 Brunch - Corned Beef Hash with a poached egg and toast

Dinner - Roasted Chicken Thighs with Catalonian Spinach and Napa Cabbage and Refried black beans with garbanzo beans


I woke up at 7:01 which was the time I set my internal alarm clock.  I watched the news shows and Leicester win its match today to take it to 10th place.


I then worked on the brief for a while.


At around 10:00 Suzette made breakfast by making corned beef hash for herself and steak hash for me.  I finely diced 1 1/2 baked potatoes and 1/2 of a yellow onion, while Suzette diced some pasilla chili and some pimiento.


She sautéed the ingredients in separate skillets and boiled water in a sauce pan with a bit of vinegar in it and poached four eggs that she put on top of thehash for a lovely and tasty brunch.





Later I helped Suzette set up frames for the beans and peas and we planted peas until the sprinkler came on, so I returned to trimming rose bushes.


I then rested until dinner.  Willy had called and said he would join us for dinner and he wanted Bobby Flay style baked chicken, which means rubbing the chicken with pimiento, fennel, and several other herbs.  I suggested baking the chicken thighs in the steamer, which Suzette did.  Baking in the steamer oven eliminates the use of fat and drains the chicken of fat rather fat accumulating in the skillet or baking dish when using the Bobby Flay method.


Suzette knew Willy liked the Catalonian Spinach dish of Spinach sautéed with pinon nuts, apple, and raisins so she came up with an interesting menu of steamer chicken, Catalonian spinach and Napa cabbage, and refried black beans with garbanzo beans. Suzette seasoned the beans with Hoya Santo, avocado leaves and oregano to give it a more traditional Oaxacan flavor.



I had chilled a bottle of De Ponte Melon de Bourgogne so I poured that for dinner. Everyone enjoyed the wine’s fruity and yet somewhat mineral flavor.




After dinner we watched another episode of The Last Kingdom during which Willy left. 


Then we watched a new contemporary series on PBS, A Time To Die, andvSuzette went to bed and I watched TCU lose to Arizona in the 2nd round of the NCAA Basketball tournament.


I went to bed at 10:45 to blog and read.


Bon Appetit 

No comments:

Post a Comment