Wednesday, March 30, 2022

March 29, 2022 Lunch - vichyssoise Dinner - Duck Tacos with Cole Slaw and Mango Salsa

March 29, 2022 Lunch - vichyssoise Dinner - Duck Tacos with Cole Slaw and Mango Salsa


We had another busy morning.  I woke up at 7:30 and made an hot dog, potato, shallot, and Manchego cheese omelet cooked in duck fat rather than butter.  I did not notice a big difference in flavor from the use of duck fat.  The inspiration to use two hot dogs in the omelet was our trip to the resort on San Blas Island in Panama.  They served hot dogs as sausage in our breakfast of sausage and eggs.

 I toasted three small slices of baguette and buttered them and spread orange marmalade on them and made a cup of tea.







We left at 9:00 to hang artwork at Willy’s apartment.  Suzette has fixed several problems like fixing broken patio tiles, the mirror, and the shelving in the closet. 


I oiled the new butcher block on the patio, unrolled the indoor/outdoor carpet, and we hung three pictures and left by 10:45


I worked on the brief this morning until 1:30 and then ate the last two bowls of Vichyssoise.  




Suzette had suggested eating the last two duck breasts in duck tacos.p, so I decided to buy the ingredients for mango salsa and tacos.  


After lunch I checked my portfolio and was amazed that it was up another day. My portfolio rose another 1.8% to regain 62.83% of the loss from its high two months ago.


Around 3:15 I drove to El Super and bought green onions, a still warm stack of corn tortillas, 2 lb. of lemons, three ataulfo mangoes, three onions, three avocados, cookies, cilantro, and a Pasilla Chile.


I then dumped the bottles at the recycling center and then drove to Costco to pick up prescriptions and bought a bottle of scotch for Suzette and some suntan lotion.


I returned home a few minutes before 6:00.


Willy was returning from his trip to Mexico at 7:30 and we wanted to welcome him back by serving him dinner at his recently remodeled apartment.


I made the mango salsa by dicing 1/2 of a small onion, two avocados, the three mangoes, a tomato, the juice of 1 lemon, and 1/4 cup of cilantro.


Suxette made cole slaw with carrot, the Napa cabbage, onion, and Mayo and shredded the duck breasts.


I grabbed a bottle of Malbec and drove Suzette to Willy’s, so she could prepare dinner, and then drove to the airport and picked up Willy.


We returned to Willy’s apartment and after Suzette showed Willy the changes, which he liked, Suzette served us dinner.


We left at around 8:45.


We were both tired and went to bed as soon as we returned home.


There were two new food facts I explored today. The first was the use of duck fat instead of butter to cook the omelet for breakfast and used lemon instead of lime in the mango salsa.  Neither made much difference. In the case of the duck fat p, I was surprised how little flavor it added. In the case of the mango salsa I was surprised how little difference the use of lemon juice made, which was a good thing because it indicated that lemon was a good substitute for lime.


The Malbec was more balanced and had a bit more fruity flavor than others I have tasted.  Perhaps that is the reason it merited 92 points.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment