Friday, April 17, 2020

April 17, 2020 Lunch – Ham Salad Dinner – PPI Spaghetti with Mushroom Meat Spaghetti Sauce with Sautéed Zucchini and onions with Lemon juice

April 17, 2020 Lunch – Ham Salad   Dinner – PPI Spaghetti with Mushroom Meat Spaghetti Sauce with Sautéed Zucchini and onions with Lemon juice

This was a pretty simple food day but a stellar stock market day.

Last night after the President’s let’s reopen our country pep rally, I figured it would be a good day on the market and it was.

I started out strong and ended even stronger ending up 704 points. It did not have that usual Friday late sell off as people take their profits. My best performing stock was Moderna, which is working on a vaccine for the corona virus and went up about 15% today.  My worst performing stock was Apple that was downgraded to a sell by Goldman Sachs and went down about 1.3%. Luckily the surge of most other sectors, including even the oil stocks was sufficient to push the market 2% higher, and my portfolio was carried along for the ride.

I have been adding to my positions, but still hold about 18% in cash. If  there is another major jolt to the world economy that drops the Market I still have some cash to do some bottom feeding.

I will probably hold on to the cash for a while and see if there is a second wave of infections before there is a vaccine.

I ate lightly today.  I drank a cup of chai for breakfast.  For lunch I made a large salad with Romaine lettuce, spinach, a diced tomato, ¼ cucumber peeled and sliced, 1/2 avocado diced, the leftover Penne pasta with pesto sauce, a hard boiled egg diced, two slices of ham diced, two green onions sliced thinly and two slices of onion diced, and 1 oz. of Pecorino-Romano cheese diced. I dressed the salad with the usual Ceasar dressing.



I went for a short bike ride at 3:30 just as Suzette arrived home.

When I returned home the President’s news conference was on, but Nancy Pelosi was being interviewed on MSNBC, so we watched a bit of each.  The Administration was being disingenuous as usual, saying the there was enough capacity for testing and not admitting that the government had
done nothing to provide the swabs, reagents and test kits to perform their proposed level of testing and that states were competing for these supplies, just as they did and do for PPE and ventilators and that the U.S is still dependent on foreign manufacturers for these supplies rather than starting production in the U.S.

I had decided to eat the PPI spaghetti and spaghetti sauce and make one of my favorite Italian vegetable dishes, sautéed zucchini and onions drizzled with fresh lemon juice for dinner.

Suzette wanted a snack of guacamole and chips so I made guacamole with 2 ½ small avocados, 3 oz. of finely diced onion, ½ cup of chopped cilantro leaves, juice of 1 lime, three cloves of garlic, and a few drops of hot sauce.  We opened the bag of corn chips and I fetched two Negra Modelos from the garage.

I also fetched the pot of mushroom and meat spaghetti sauce from the garage also and at 6:30 we started heating it.

Sautéed Zucchini

I sliced three zucchini, 3 oz. of onion, three cloves of garlic, and 1 oz. of yellow bell pepper for color.  Suzette sautéed those ingredients in olive oil and butter until they softened.  We covered the skillet so they would soften more quickly.  In about twenty minutes the dish was ready and we squeezed the juice of 1/2 lemon to finish the dish.  The spaghetti sauce was simmering.



  Suzette heated the PPI spaghetti in the microwave in its freezer bag and I poured out the last half of the bottle of Aquino Reserva Chianti and we had a simple peasant’s feast and Suzette filled pasta bowls with spaghetti and sauce on one side and sautéed squash on the other, while I micro-grated about 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese that we dusted across the top of the spaghetti sauce.



We watched Rachel who was very upset about all the deaths of old folks in nursing homes and then we watched Washington Week until 8:30.  I went to bed at 8:30 and Suzette watched TV for a while.

I awakened at 10:30 and drank another cup if chai with two cookies and took my pills and then blogged this entry.

We still have a large quantity of ingredients, so there are still lots of choices for dinner menus.

As soon as we get the large pot of spaghetti cleared out of the fridge or make room for another large pot, I plan to launch into a Mexican food phase.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment