Tuesday, April 14, 2020

April 14, 2020 Lunch – PPI Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup with Halibut. Dinner – Spaghetti with Spaghetti Sauce and Salad

April 14, 2020 Lunch – PPI Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup with Halibut. Dinner – Spaghetti with Spaghetti Sauce and Salad

I worked most of today on filing a brief in the Court of Appeals, so not much time for food and out of necessity the food was pretty basic.

I heated the PPI bowl of Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup I made yesterday.

Then for several hours after lunch I alternated between work and cooking a spaghetti sauce.

Spaghetti Sauce

I started by dicing 1 1/3 onions with 1 ½ lb. of ground beef and four cloves f garlic in about T. each of olive oil and canola oil in a stock pot with a thick bottom that I could reduce the heat on to cook slowly.

After the onions softened I added slices of four large white mushrooms.

Several minutes later I added about 64 oz. of prepared spaghetti sauce plus 7 oz. of Del Valle tomato sauce and about 10 oz. of water.

I then went to the garden and picked one garlic top and a handful of oregano that produced about 1 cup of cleaned and chopped oregano that I added to the pot.

I then let the sauce cook for about 45 minutes and then turned the heat off until Suzette arrived at around 5:00.

She was hungry so she turned the heat on under the spaghetti sauce and filled a pot with water and boiled a lb. of dried Italian spaghetti while I diced four small vine over ripened tomatoes Suzette had placed on a window sill in the kitchen to ripen. Suzette also suggested adding red wine, so I poured about 10 oz. of PPI Primus and another wine into the sauce, which darkened and enriched the sauce.  I also added about 1 ½ tsp. of salt that brightened and warmed the sauce’s flavor.

I then added Romaine lettuce to the salad Suzette had made on Sunday with cucumber slices, diced tomato, and sliced hard boiled egg. Suzette then added croutons and I dressed it with Ceasar salad dressing.

After an additional 30 minutes the spaghetti was cooked and we were ready to eat.

I filled two bowls with salad and Suzette drained the spaghetti and then put a pile on each of two pasta bowls.  We each served ourselves ladles of spaghetti sauce and I opened a bottle of Aquino Reserva Chianti ($5.99 at Trader Joe’s).

We ate a simple dinner and then went for a walk.  Suzette called Crystal and they invited us to stop in for a glass of wine and to see the new portal they added to the back of their house.  It is about thirty feet long and about 12 feet wide so there was not difficulty social distancing.  They served us glasses of Laddonwick? Pinot Noir from Sonoma Ridge that was rather heavy, which is their preferred style of red wine.

We talked for about an hour and came up with a plan to eat dinner with Janis and Tom Friday night.  We agreed to make paella and we agreed to bring a rose and they will open an Albariño and Janis will make a dessert, hopefully.

We then walked home and after putting up the PPI spaghetti sauce and spaghetti I went to bed at 8:30 and slept until 11:30 when I blogged this.

Oh, by the way the market reversed itself today and went up 588 points after dropping yesterday, which resulted in an almost 2% gain for my portfolio.  The market has now dropped 35% and regained almost 30% in the last month.  What a roller coaster!

I could have done better had I not sold the 1000 shares of Zoom I bought and sold in one day. That day shall live in infamy I fear depending upon how Zoom fairs as it fights Microsoft and Google for share of the teleconferencing market.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment