Sunday, April 26, 2020

April 25, 2020 Breakfast – Bacon, Potato, Onion, and Egg Burrito. Lunch - PPI Grilled Lamb Chop and Spinach Couscous. Dinner – New Recipe Pasta Primavera with Salmon Fillets coated with sorrel sauce.

April 25, 2020 Breakfast – Bacon, Potato, Onion, and Egg Burrito. Lunch - PPI Grilled Lamb Chop and Spinach Couscous. Dinner – New Recipe  Pasta Primavera with Salmon Fillets coated with sorrel sauce.

I awakened at 7:00 and watched news for a while but became hungry.  I had thawed a lb. of thick cut smoked bacon (Sprouts $2.99 on sale) last night, so I Fried three slices.  I added 2 oz. of butter and two small baked potatoes sliced and 1/3 red onion sliced and diced.  After the bacon was fried to crisp and the potato slices had begun to brown I removed the bacon and Suzette took over.  She added two whisked  eggs and stirred them into the onion and potatoes.  She then toasted a flour tortilla and added the egg mixture to each tortilla and crumbled the fried bacon to each tortilla and I crumbled cojita cheese over the dish and added several drops of red Chile sauce to my  I made a cup of camomile tea with lime and honey and Suzette poured a glass of Clamato juice and we took our plates and drinks to the table in the gazebo in the garden and ate while we watched the dove drink from the bird bath and the fish swim in the pond.



After breakfast we drove to a brewery at Coors and Alameda so Suzette could buy ½ gallon of sanitizer and then to Willy’s to pick up the hammock frame.  We returned home at 1:00 hungry.  Suzette made a pita sandwich stuffed with PPI roasted pork garnished with fresh micro greens. I heated the lamb chop I did not eat last night and some of the PPI spinach Couscous and drank the last glass of the 2015 Joseph Drouhin Beaujolais.

After lunch I thawed a 2 lb. bag of frozen Bueno Posole and went to the garden and picked a handful of fresh mint and Suzette made mint syrup by dissolving three cups of sugar in three cups of heated water.

I then lay down for a nap until 4:00.  We then put air in Suzette’s bike tires and rode to
Marquez and back, a distance of about 2 1/2 miles.

When I returned to the kitchen I diced two onions, and cut about 2 lb. of pork off a pork butt roast that had been thawing during the morning.

I removed the fat and diced the two lb. of pork and minced six cloves of garlic and sautéed those three ingredients in a large pot until tender.  Then I added about 6 quarts of water and the two lb. of Posole after I rinsed it again the remove any excess lye.  I then went to the garden and picked a handful of fresh oregano and de-stemmed the leaves and chopped them and added them to the Posole and simmered everything together.





After we made our first mojitos of the summer, we discussed dinner.  I suggested pasta primavera with shrimp, but when she looked in the meat drawer Suzette saw the two fresh fillets of salmon.  Rather than thaw frozen shrimp we decided to cook the salmon with the Primavera sauce and eat it over the thin fresh egg noodles in the meat drawer.

I sliced a zucchini in a vey interesting manner.  I cut it in half lengthwise and then cut each Hal into thirds lengthwise to create long strips.  Then I sliced 1 inch long sections diagonally to produce a piece of zucchini that was more or less fiat on three sides and deeply slanted at each end sort of a three sided parallelogram that I found attractive.  I also diced about 3 oz. of onion, four white mushrooms, minced 4 cloves of fresh garlic, and ½ of a yellow bell pepper.  Suzette then sautéed the chopped ingredients in butter and olive oil and fetched the sorrel sauce she had made last week and spread some on the belly side of each salmon fillet. When the vegetables were cooked Suzette pushed the vegetables to the side of the skillet and seared the salmon fillets on both sides.  Suzette then removed the salmon fillets to a plate and finished the sauce with ¾ cup of the pasta water,  a T. of Madeira, and 2 T. of heavy cream to add a wine cream sauce to the vegetables.  Suzette said, “The pasta water helps thicken the sauce because of the gluten in the water.”


 
Sautéing the salmon fillets with the vegetables 

                                                 The final sauce thickened with cream

The pasta and sautéed salmon 

                                    The final dish after adding the vegetables in cream sauce

We each drank the cocktails we had made with dinner.  I loved aa three elements of the new recipe: the delicate egg noodles, the salmon fillet coated with sorrel sauce, and the creamy sautéed vegetables.  It seemed to me that the new recipe created a fusion of three different cultures, Chinese fresh egg vermicelli noodles, a very classical French Salmon coated with Sorrel sauce, and a very traditional Italian Primavera sauce with fresh vegetables.

We enjoyed this very satisfying dish.  We then watched the third episode of of Unorthodox on Netflix and then Father Brown and Death in Paradise and went to bed at 10:00 after I added three dried Chile pods to the Posole and carried it to the garage.

Something odd occurred today. It seemed as if the usual junk mail ceased arriving in the mail.  Another indication of our changing economy.

A good day of cooking..

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment