Sunday, April 19, 2020

April 19, 2020 Brunch – Tropical Fruit Salad, granola, yogurt, and milk. Snack- herring on toast with sour cream and onion. Dinner – Grilled steak, PPI Roasted Sweet Potato, and Onion. Tomato, and cucumber salad

April 19, 2020 Brunch – Tropical Fruit Salad, granola, yogurt, and milk. Snack- herring on toast with sour cream and onion. Dinner – Grilled steak, PPI Roasted Sweet Potato, and Onion. Tomato, and cucumber salad

I started the day with a coffee hot chocolate and the news programs.

Then I made tropical fruit salad by dicing a papaya, a pineapple, four oranges, and a green mango.  I also squeezed the juice of a lime into the salad to stabilize the color of the fruit.

We then ate a brunch of yogurt, fruit salad, milk, and granola.

We had a family chat on Zoom at 1:00 with Billy, Elaine, Willy, and Luke.  It was lovely to have the family together.  Next week hopefully Rebecca will join the conversation.  After the conversation we moved Suzette’s Cabriolet back and emptied the side of the garage where we had stored the cabinets and other furnishings for the apartment above the candy store so Suzette could drive her car into the garage.  I asked Suzette what she wanted for dinner and we decided to thaw a rib steak.

  Then I ate several pieces of sliced and toasted whole wheat dinner roll  smeared with sour cream and garnished with slices of onion. I drank a beer and a cold shot glass of vodka, in the Swedish tradition.

Then I napped until 5:00.

We decided to walk.  I find that I have a good level of energy after a snack and a nap and we walked one mile without difficulty or stopping, another step forward in my recovery of my physical stamina.

When we returned home Suzette grilled the 1 ¼ inch thick rib steak until the propane ran out.  She heated the PPI sweet potatoes in the microwave and I sliced three tomatoes, 1 1/3 cucumbers, and about 3oz. of red onion.  Suzette made an olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sugar dressing and dressed the salad.  Suzette also sautéed sliced onions.  The steak was too rare, so I sliced it and Suzette sautéed it with the mushrooms.





I went to the basement and found a bottle of 2013 Murphy Goode Pinot Noir.  It was light and had lost much of its youthful fruitiness, but it, like many aged pinots, had gained an elegance.  In other words a complete lack of bitterness or heavy organic matter.




We enjoyed a pleasant dinner and then watched PBS’ World on Fire and Baptiste.

I sipped a Calvados and drank two cups of chai and ate two cookies.

At 10:00 Suzette went to bed and I blogged.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment