Monday, April 13, 2020

April 13, 2020 Lunch – Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup with Halibut. Dinner - Sautéed Duck breast with Orange Sauce, steamed sugar snap peas, and roasted vegetables

April 13, 2020 Lunch – Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup with Halibut. Dinner - Sautéed Duck breast with Orange Sauce, steamed sugar snap peas, and roasted vegetables

Today I was able to relax a bit after finishing my brief for the Court of Appeals.  I watched Cuomo’s news briefing and napped through Trump’s.

I ate the last of the tropical fruit salad with granola, yogurt and a splash of milk for breakfast.

At 9:45 I spoke to my doctor telephonically for about ½ hour.

I then helped Skipti obtain a certificate of good standing.  While I was on Zoom with Lynn it started snowing and continued for several hours.

The cool snowy weather prompted me to want a hot noodle soup so at noon I filled a 2 quart Pam 2/3 full of water and added 2 tsp. of dehydrated Dashi, a cube of Pho seasoning, about 2 tsp. of dried Pulse seaweed, ½ minced shallot, a cube of fried tofu, a heaping T. of red miso, three types of noodles (rice flakes, soba, and wheat), 7 or 8 sugar snap peas diced, a handful of spinach, about 1 ½ T. of Chinese rice cooking wine, and ½ lb. of grilled skinned Halibut. The combination of Dashi, miso and pho seasoning combined with the other ingredients created a delicious rich broth.

I added a T. of oyster sauce and ate two bowls of the soup garnished with sliced green onions.  I put the remaining bowl in the fridge for tomorrow.

I checked the Market after lunch and even though the musket was down more than 350 points, my portfolio was up $400.00.

I napped from 2:30 until 3:45 when I was awaken by a phone call.

A then received a call form Sally and we discussed a case until after 4:00.  I prepared three deeds and drafted a certificate of compliance for my appeal.  I finished drafting the certificate as Suzette walked in.

I took a ½ mile walk at 6:00 while Suzette rested.  When in I returned at 6:30 we discussed dinner.  I mentioned the thawed duck breasts and we quickly agreed to sauté two duck breasts and make a Orange for the duck and heat the PPI Roasted vegetables and steam the sugar snap peas.  Suzette she wanted to drink a good Pinot Noir with dinner so I went to the basement and fetched a 2016 De Ponte Dundee Hills Pinot Noir and opened it.

De Ponte makes exceptional wines for the money.  They are not cheap, but they express the quality and elegant finish of fine French Burgundy reds. We both loved the silky smooth Pinot.



I am a wine club member so receive a discount that helps pay the shipping fees.

Suzette snapped the peas and then sautéed the two duck breasts.  We then gathered the ingredients for the sauce, Prager port vinegar, madeira, dehydrated chicken stock.After Suzette removed the two cooked breasts to a dish she kept warm in the oven we worked together to make the sauce. I peeled and sectioned two oranges and zested on of them. Suzette combined the ingredients in the skillet she used to sauté the duck.  We halved Julia Child’s recipe for the sauce for Duck l’ Orange.
  We added 1 T. of sugar and 1 ½ T. of port vinegar instead of red wine vinegar to the skillet and then 1 cup of chicken stock and then 1 ½ T. of arrowroot mixed with 1 ½ T. of Madeira and the orange sections  We added another 2 T. of Madeira and heated  heated the sauce to reduce and stricken it and finally added the orange sections and a bit of residual orange juice and duck jus.

                                                           The sauce l’ Orange 

Suzette then hearted some of the roasted vegetables in the microwave and I sliced the two breasts.  When the vegetables the sugar snap peas were ready she plated each dish with a breast, sugar snap peas, and roasted  vegetables and then sauced each breast with l’ orange sauce.

We fetched and washed two Baccarat red wine glasses and poured glasses of the Dundee Hills 2016 Pinot Noir and ate a fabulous dinner. A wholly satisfying food experience.


After dinner the wine still expressed a finish that was soft as silk, so I fetched the brie and toasted thin slices of French baguette and spread the toast with butter and brie for a very French finish to dinner.

Later I did drink a cup of chai with a slice of fruit cake.

I don’t know how to fully describe this dinner so I will say it is one of my favorite dinners among many other contenders.

When I was young my mother would offer to make me anything I wanted to eat for my birthday and I would always request Duck L’ Orange.  She bought the Baccarat on our family trip to Europe in 1960, so I have a special affection for the elegantly thin blown crystal flutes that present no resistance to the wine sliding into one’s mouth. The glass is so thin that it feels as if there is no glass at all, just the elegantly smooth wine that presents no resistance to sliding down one’s throat.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment