Saturday, April 25, 2020

April 24, 2020 Lunch – Salmon and Scallop Sashimi. Dinner – Grilled Lamb chops with Spinach Couscous

Another day of elegant food.  I ate tropical fruit salad with yogurt and granola for breakfast.  Then I thawed three scallops.

The day was not very busy.  A few phone calls and letters.

At noon I decided to prepare Sashimi.  I sliced the three scallops and the tail end of the salmon fillet Suzette bought at Costco yesterday.  I opened the small can of pickled leeks I had chilled yesterday and put them on a plate with the scallop and salmon slices.  I opened the bottle of pickled ginger I had chilled and fetched the bowl of Japanese Pickled Vegetables and made a cup of green tea and added rice vinegar and Aji Mirin to the small amount of PPI rice and heated it for 1:11 minutes in the microwave and poured a cup of sake and heated it and mixed wasabi with soy in a small dipping bowl and was ready to eat an amazing Sashimi lunch.


When I finished eating around 2:40 I checked the market and was pleasantly surprised that the market had increased a little over ½% and my Portfolio increased by 1.8%, mainly due to a late surge in the big tech stocks.  For example,  Facebook announced a new meeting function similar to Zoom that sent Facebook up over $5.00 and Zoom down about $10.00.

I lay down at 3:00 and napped until 5:00 when Suzette arrived.  I went for a bike ride at 6:10 and rode south and back five miles.  My old 1972 Gitane/Campangola Road bike. It is the easiest riding bike I have ever ridden. Greg and Ryan at the bike coop found a pair of vintage presser rims to replace the original sew up rims.

When I returned we watched the news until 8:30.  We decided on a simplified meal.  Suzette had a bad day and was a bit down so when I went to the basement and found a special bottle, a 1995 Cotes du Ventoux.  Suzette Grilled four beautiful lamb chops while I added the rest of fresh spinach the the PPI spinach and tomato Couscous. I added 1 T. of butter, about ¼ cup of water, and ½ tsp of salt and heated the Couscous at low heat and stirred the Couscous.



When Suzette brought in the grilled lamb chops we served ourselves the heated Couscous and a couple of chops.



I fetched a new bottle of homemade mint jelly.



The twenty-five year old wine was amazing.  It had everything you would want, a pleasantly aromatic bouquet, an elegant flavor, and no bitterness on the finish.  There was little fruit, which may have helped let the elegance showed through. There is something magical about a splendid 25 year old wine, not unlike the return of a prodigal son  who has been gone a really long time.




The lamb chops were lovely also thick marbled chops.  We decided that more high end lamb that would have gone to high end restaurants are now being sent into the grocery markets.

We watched “Unorthodox” after dinner until 10:30 and then Suzette went to bed.

I stayed up and blogged until midnight so I could watch the News Hour.

Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment