Friday, April 3, 2020

April 3, 2020 Lunch – Vietnamese and Miso Udon Noodle Soup with Pork Ribs and Sausage. Dinner – New Recipe - Salad Nicoise

April 3, 2020 Lunch – Vietnamese and Miso Udon Noodle Soup with Pork Ribs and Sausage. Dinner – New Recipe - Salad Nicoise

Today was filled with wonderful food.  I fear I am gaining weight.  Alas, it is better to have wonderful food than terrible food.

I started with a breakfast of tropical fruit salad with granola, yogurt, and a bit of milk.  The fruit was wonderful.

I worked until 12:30 and decided to make a Vietnamese and Miso Udon Noodle Soup with Pork Ribs and Sausage.  I have never tried to make Udon noodle, but. Was at a Talin about a month ago before the lock down and knew Tharp it was coming so I bought a cryovac bag of fresh noodles that I thought would keep for a while.  So today I had ½ of a bratwurst and some PPI BBQ ribs that I thought might go well with the udon noodles.

I filled a 2 quart pan 2/3 full of water and added I cube of pho seasoning, 1 cube of beef bouillon, ½ Shallot minced, and about 3 oz. each of a cubed cooked bratwurst and PPI BBQ pork ribs. After I cooked those ingredients for about ten minutes I added the white portion of two bok Choy leaves diced and several beech mushrooms.  A few minutes later I added one heaping T. of red miso and four stalks of asparagus diced.  Finally I added the Package of udon noodles and cooked the soup for about ten more minutes and then separated the udon noodles still stuck together.  As it turned out I should have added the udon noodles much earlier, because it took a long time for them to cook due to their thickness



The soup was delicious.  I ate two bowls with a bit of hoisin sauce and put the rest of soup in the fridge after adding some more water.  Adding water thins the soup, but is necessary because the noodles absorb a lot of the broth. You can adjust the flavor of the broth by adding another T. of red miso when you re-heat the soup.

I worked until 3:00 and then took a nap until 4:00.  I watched Mad Money but could not determine what he recommended for investors, so I switched to Trump’s daily White House news conference.  It was depressing except for one off the cuff comment by Trump that I found amusing.  A reporter asked a question about the model.  Thump clearly did not understand that the question was referring to the model of deaths prepared by his corona virus task force.  He said, “I don’t know what model you are referring to. I have known a lot of models.”  One of the reporters clarified that the question referred to the death toll model from the virus and he mumbled through yet another evasive answer. But we gained a small and very clear insight into our President’s psyche.  It is all about him.  Not about us, the 100,000 to 240,000 persons who will die.

Later the news was discussing the slowness in testing large numbers of person and a reporter reported that everyone who works in the White House is being constantly tested for the virus.

Jared Kushner made clear the White House’s priorities with regard to PPE and respirators yesterday when he said the national stockpile was “Our stockpile”.  Of course, who else could possibly need the equipment more than the White House workers.

Suzette came home at around 5:00.  After she showered, changed clothes and settled into her chair, we discussed the news of the day.  The number of infections in NM rose dramatically today by another 90 persons, which is still low but a huge rise of approximately 25% as a percentage of total
infections from the 363 of yesterday.

We discussed dinner and I mentioned that we had a bag of about 1 pound of tuna from the grilled tuna dinner last week that we could use.  Suzette said, “We have fresh potatoes and green beans, why don’t we make a salad Nicoise.  I agreed that that was a great idea.  We had previously agreed to make tuna salad, so we modified the traditional recipe by making a tuna salad instead of simply grilling a tuna steak.

I diced the tuna into ¼ inch cubes, then diced two stalks of celery, and three green onions, while Suzette hard boiled two eggs and a diced potato and went to the garden to pick a handful of tarragon and the garage to fetch the container of butter lettuce. Suzette then added mayonnaise, Dijon seeded mustard, sour cream and heavy cream to the bowl of ingredients to finish the tuna salad. I then made a Dijonnaise salad dressing with minced fresh tarragon, 2 tsp. of white wine vinegar, three small cloves of minced garlic, a tsp. of Grey Poupon mustard, ¼ tsp. of salt, and about ¼ cup of olive oil whisked slowly into the dressing.

We snapped the green beans and steamed them.

Suzette then composed the salad plates with torn lettuce leaves, potato cubes, egg slices, kalamata olives, green beans, and a mound of tuna salad and I then drizzled the depressing over the plates and placed more tarragon leaves on the side of each plate.  Suzette poured glasses of rose while I sliced and toasted a piece of French baguette.





We had made an amazing dinner that utilized several of our fresh ingredients and fresh tarragon from the garden. The delicate French rose went beautifully with the delicately flavored fresh salad ingredients. Perfection




Later I watched two episodes of re-runs of Julia Child p’s The French Chef series with celebrity chefs commenting on her technique call Dishing Julia. An apt finish for a day filled with interesting new dishes.

Bon Appetit

         


No comments:

Post a Comment