Saturday, June 1, 2019

May 31, 2019 Lunch – PPI Teriyaki Salmon and Cauliflower Couscous with Mixed Vegetables Dinner – Couscous with Cranberry raisins, roasted Pinon nuts and onion and bok Choy greens

May 31, 2019 Lunch – PPI Teriyaki Salmon and Cauliflower Couscous with Mixed Vegetables  Dinner – Couscous with Cranberry raisins, roasted Pinon nuts and onion and bok Choy greens

I ate two slices of bagel garnished with clam dip and slices of onion for breakfast.  We made a great clam dip with chopped clams, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, sour cream and cream cheese last night .  I can not resist it, so I ate it for breakfast. The toasted bagels were a disaster because they were rock hard but not crisp and flaky.  We should have baked them in the oven as Suzette suggested.

I worked until 2:30 and rested until 3:00 watching the stock market implode down 365 points and it may not be over yet,  Trump has only one diplomatic strategy: tariffs and that is not a strategy although I am sure it makes him feel good t say, “Your Tariffed”. At 2:30 I ate the PPI teriyaki salmon and cauliflower Couscous with Chinese mixed vegetables

I drove out to the new library at Unser and Central.  It is a beautiful ultra modern building with all the latest gadgets.  I returned the Moonstone and checked out Dead Wake by Erik Larson, plus an American Masters documentary on James Beard.

I then drove to Albertsons.  There were no amazing meat specials, but there were sales of dairy.  I bought a 24 oz. container of sour cream for $2.50, milk, heavy cream and a half gallon of half and half for $3.49.

I then drove to El Super where I bought lovely beets, broccoli, Mexican Squash, limes, Roma tomatoes, leeks, green onions, and potatoes.  El Super has had a face lift to open it up and clean out some of the clutter.  Here is a picture of it now.




I then drove home, unloaded and lay down and watched TV until Suzette arrived.

Suzette was hungry. We decided to make dinner.  I had really enjoyed the couscous we made last week to go with the poached salmon, so I suggested making Couscous with Cranberry raisins, roasted Pinon nuts, onion, and chard.  We went to the garden but there was very little chard so we decided to use bok Choy greens instead.  What we did find in the garden was that our garlic plants were putting out scapes, so we spent about fifteen minutes snapping off scapes from the top of garlic plants.  When we returned to the house kkI chopped 4 oz. of onion, then leaves from most of the bok Choy and finally diced the meat from the 3 Lamb Chops.

While I was chopping Suzette sautéed the onion and pinon nuts in butter in a sauce pan and then added two cups of Couscous andfinally the cranberries that she had rehydrated in hot water plus 3 cups of hot water, some of the scapes, and the bok Choy leaves.  We left the pot simmering on low heat for 10 or 15 minutes.  Then I checked and everything seemed cooked.  I fluffed the Couscous with a fork and we added the cubed lamb and covered the pot and cooked it another five minutes and then turned off the heat and let it sit for a few more minutes.

Suzette served it and I opened a bottle of Paton-Clemente Spanish Tempranillo from La Mancha that was bad, probably due to a loose cork.  I have drunk at least a dozen bottles of this Tempranillo and they all were good bottles. I then opened a bottle of 2016 Laurent Dublabc Cotes du Rhône that was young and spicy but gained smoothness as it opened up over the next hour.  I think both of these are $4.99 each at a Trader Joe’s.





Unfortunately there are lots of snacks so I ate some M&Ms and the last of the spumoni ice cream.  Spumoni is my favorite ice cream, I decided, because it has So many ingredients I love like pistachio nuts and candied fruit.

I lay down before 9:00 after several days of hard work.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment