Saturday, June 29, 2019

June 29, 2019 Lunch – Bun Cha Gio and Grilled Pork. Dinner = Grilled Steak and Asparagus with a Baked Potato.

June 29, 2019 Lunch – Bun Cha Gio and Grilled Pork.  Dinner = Grilled Steak and Asparagus with a Baked Potato.

Today I worked on the water case until 11:00. Then I went to the library and the bank and then Vietnam 2000 where I watched Sweden beat Germany in the women’s Quarter Finals for the World Cup while I ate a no. 21, Bun Cha Gio with pork.


I then drove to Sprouts and bought a lovely large 1.68 lb. swordfish steak, cherries for $1.48/lb., thick asparagus for $1.98/lb., and three ears of corn for $.50.

I then went home, thawed a steak, and worked a bit more and at 4:00 I baked six russet potatoes and then rested until 5:30 when we started dinner.

Suzette Grilled the steak and asparagus while I sliced and sautéed mushrooms with garlic and shallots. Suzette and I both picked chives, so I put the extra chives into the mushroom sauté with the leaves from twelve small sprigs of thyme I picked in the garden.

We wanted a good bottle of wine so Suzette went to the basement and picked a De Ponte 2014 Dundee Hills Pinot Noir.  I sliced the steak and she poured the wine and plated the baked potatoes with butter, sour cream and chives.  We then served ourselves slices of steak and spooned sautéed mushrooms on top.





I am now willing to spend more money for really good wine.  The 2014 De Ponte was just perfect for the steak, a fruity, yet full bodied wine with no rough edges or after taste.  I have joined the are Ponte wine club, because I think their wine is as good as their more expensive neighbors on the Dundee Hills like Drouhin, Archer’s Summit, and Chateau Serene at 1/2 the price.

We carried our plates to the garden and ate a wonderful meal as we watched the fish scamper around the pond that Suzette filled today, which gave them a renewed food source.

After dinner Suxzette made Bananas Foster with toasted pinon nuts, rum, brown sugar, butter, bananas and vanilla ice cream.

We then watched our shows on PBS but I fell asleep during Death in Paradise at 9:30 and did not wake until almost 11:00. And watched Mexico advanced to the Gold Cup Finals on the sixth penalty kick.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment