Saturday, June 22, 2019

June 21, 2019 Lunch – Steak Salad Neighborhood Cocktail Party

June 21, 2019 Lunch – Steak Salad   Neighborhood Cocktail Party


June 21 is a very special day for me.  It is summer solstice, the longest day of  daylight, Midsummer, midsommeran.  Especially the farther north you go. In the post-Viking cultures it ranks as a major holiday, of equal importance with Christmas.  When I lived in Copenhagen in 1968, they students at the Paul Bergsoe dorms grilled a reindeer and there was an extended evening of dancing and drinking until dark at around 10:00.

When I lived in Sweden in 1970 working with as an accountant we were invited to a traditional crayfish dinner with lots of wine, beer, and aquavit at the home of one of the married young professionals.  A dinner party of ten or so people in Stockholm.

I planned to ride my bike after a breakfast of Gravad Lax (salt and sugar cured salmon) on toasted bagel spread with cream cheese and topped with slices of onion and  the fish.  Here is a picture.



But that all changed when I received a conference call from my new start-up client.  I was joined into a zoom conference call until after noon.

When I got off the phone Willy called and came by to do his laundry and we talked a bit.  When he left I made a salad with red lettuce, tomato, olives, steak, cucumber, and the PPI Caprese salad from last Sunday’s dinner party.



I watched the Market close as I ate my lunch and then checked my portfolio and found that I had a very small loss for the day.  Interestingly, gold has risen lately to over $1400 per ounce.  Last fall I considered buy some when it sank to $1188, but did not.  I guess those in the oil kingdom are in a flight to safety, reconfirming Gresham’s law and gold’s unique historic status as the ultimate safe haven currency and store of value.

I was still in my riding gear, so rode to my client’s office at 3:30, which is in downtown Albuquerque about ten blocks from the house.  Not ten miles, but a ride nonetheless.

We finished sending meeting notices a bit after 5:00 and I stopped to talk to Bill until almost 6:00 when I rode home, showered and dressed.
At 7:00 we grabbed a chilled bottle of Emma Reichart 100% Pinot Noir rose from Nahe, Germany. This the best bottle of rose for under $5.00.  It is sold by Trader Joe’s.  It gets consistently high 87 and 88 point ratings for its dry fruity flavor.

We were the first to arrive and stayed until 9:30.  There was a good crowd of about thirty and lots of good food.  Deviled eggs by Diane, salami wrapped gerbils by Macon was my favorite although Kylene put out a lovely sliced log of salami.  We took the Clafoutis I made last week with cherries I brandied in cognac, Grand Marnier, Orange juice and orange zest.



I enjoyed the evening and talked to Susan Feil a lot among others as the sun set and the searing sunlight and heat changed to a soft glow and then that deepening grey cool afterglow.

Bon Appetit





















No comments:

Post a Comment