Monday, June 10, 2019

June 10, 2019 ?Breakfast – Flauta con Huevos, Lunch – Buffet King. No dinner

June 10, 2019 ?Breakfast – Flauta con Huevos,  Lunch – Buffet King. No dinner

We started the day heating the PPI portion of our Chicken sausage flauta we made for brunch yesterday.  I unrolled mine and sautéed it in a skillet and fried two eggs with it to made a hodge ponged Huevos Ranchero.  Suzette heated hers in the microwave and ate it more daintily.

I worked until noon, catching up on things I had put aside for the last week as we finished the Reply for filing in the U.S. Supreme Court.  I can’t believe I am saying this.  I read the reply again today and it hangs together far better than I remember.  I am hopeful that we will be granted intervention, at which point it will be Mano a Mano with the States of Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and the U.S. like fighting a battleship from a canoe.  I hope the strength of our historic facts perseveres.

I drafted and filed a letter withdrawing my earlier Application to Judge Alito for an expansion of the word count, since we reduced the word count to within the required 3000 word limit.

The best news was the printer achieved his promised goal of printing and sending the Reply to the Court on Friday for hand delivery today.  The importance of that can not be over emphasized.  It was filed and distributed to the Justices today, which will provide them two to three days to read our reply before the judicial conference to be held on our case on Thursday. Hopefully we got the closing argument.

I picked Peter up for lunch at 12:30 and drove us to Buffet King at the corner of Seagull and Academy.  This was out third or fourth lunch there and I had decided on my favorites.  Although there are probably 100 food choices, I took three plates with  the same ingredients, plus a couple of additional items: two BBQ ribs, 1/3 of a plate of Manila clams in spicy black bean sauce, and 1/3 plate of Mapo Dofu.  Each item has a therapeutic benefit in my mind; the ribs have huge smounts of collagen to ease the arthritis in my joints, while the clams and tofu are rich in protein to build the strength of my muscles. I love the Mapo Dofu preparation by Buffet King because of its simplicity and wonderful flavor.  It is simply chunks of soft tofu stir fried with finely minced pork sausage in a brown sauce with red pepper flakes.  Simple, elegant, and tasty with the added benefit of being high protein.  The ribs were among the best I have ever tasted, succulent in a richly sweet BBQ sauce, I could not stop eating them.  The clams were small Manilas.  The plate of clams I ate probably yielded 3 oz. of meat, but if you love clams it is worth it.

I also ate two fried shrimp and a small pile of stir fried rice vermicelli noodles.  That was it.  I was so stuffed I found it difficult to walk to the car.  Poor Peter is in worse shape, his mobility is so diminished that he can only shuffle with the aid of a cane.  But his courage to keep going is inspiring.  I told myself, I will try to continue to increase my exercise to try to fully regain my strength.

I took Peter to his pharmacy to get his drugs to shield him from the pain and then I went to the bank to deposit a check.

After I dropped Peter off I went home around 3:00, took a steak out of the freezer, and discovered that my portfolio had a fourth day of increases, having increased .5% during that period in spite of the fact that I have 12.5% sitting in cash on the sidelines.  I am very pleased.

I lay down at 4:00 and soon fell asleep and did not waken until 5:30.  Suzette had arrived and I told her I was going to ride and could not eat dinner.  I was correct.  The high protein lunch gave me sufficient energy to ride the 3 1/2 mile short loop without a sugar pill in a pretty high wind.

When I returned at 6:55 Suzette was watching T.V.  I resumed reading until about 30 minutes later Suzette rushed in to tell me there was a Raymond Jonson painting on the Road Show.  We rushed back to see the appraisal.  It was a 1937 early abstract painting in light pastels on canvas, about 20 x 28.  Neither of us liked it, but we loved the appraisal of $50,000 in 2011.  Suzette guessed our watercolors are worth $35,000 each.

I was sucked in.  I stayed and watched the rest of the Roadshow, mainly because I wanted to see the PBS American Experience documentary on Teddy Roosevelt’s 1914 Amazon expedition to discover the terminus of the river of doubt that was renamed for him.

After it ended at 11:00 I blogged, ate some yogurt and went to bed after drinking three cups of tea.

Teddy Roosevelt, a sickly asthmatic child, who overcame his physical weakness by hard exercise, is my new role model.  I think he also was the youngest person to be elected to the New York Assembly and wrote over 60 books, ran for President three times and was elected once, besides having a military career, leading the Rough Riders against the Spanish in Cuba.  There was no challenge too great for him until he met his match in the Amazon in 1914.  It ruined his health and he died five years later.  He never complained. He just kept charging forward. A real American hero.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment