Tuesday, June 4, 2019

June 4, 2019 Lunch – Liverwurst and cheese sandwich. Dinner – Grilled Steak. PPI Baked Potato and Sautéed Chinese Cabbage and radishes

June 4, 2019 Lunch – Liverwurst and cheese sandwich. Dinner – Grilled Steak. PPI Baked Potato and Sautéed Chinese Cabbage and radishes

Three interesting developments today.  One, smaller portions for breakfast and lunch. Two, technology makes dinner easy.. Three, this was the first dinner made with mostly fresh ingredients from our gardens.

I ate a 1/3 slice of a whole wheat bagel spread with cream cheese and slices of Manchego cheese with a cup of tea for breakfast at 10:00.

I ate lunch at 4:00 as I watched Mad Money and found out that the market surged 512 points for my best day of the year. Unfortunately, my portfolio is still below its level on December 2017.  Three reasons, Fed talk, Chinese and Mexican optimism on reaching trade agreements.

I fixed a liverwurst sandwich on a toasted slice of whole wheat bread as I did yesterday but today I used three slices of liverwurst with the mayo, seeded mustard, and slices of Jarlsberg cheese.  I also ate two slices of fresh dill pickle.  A lovely lunch.

Suzette came home a bit after 5:00.  She wanted to cook the Chinese Cabbage grown in the garden at the Center for Ageless Living with radishes grown in our garden.  She wanted to make the dish in an Italian style and wanted to grill a steak with it.

                                               The cleaned Chinese Cabbage

This where the technological magic comes to the front.  She washed the cabbage in the sink to rid it of dirt and bugs.  Then she shredded it in the Cuisinart along with the radishes in a couple of seconds.  It took me longer to remove the out husk of an onion and slice ½ of it into thin slices and dice them.  I also peeled and diced five small cloves of garlic.

I then went to the garden and picked a handful of foot long oregano sprigs and seven or eight stalks of chives.  Our garden is a wonderful kitchen garden.  I removed a cup of Oregano leaves from the stalks and finely minced them and added them to the skillet in which Suzette was sautéing the shredded cabbage leaves and radishes and onion and garlic. Suzette then seasoned the vegetables with balsamic vinegar, salt, and sugar.  Then the next bit oof magic was she defrosted the frozen steak perfectly and I discovered that our microwave is smart.  It is programmed to defrost a category of things p, of which steak is one of the options.  I was thrilled because the steak was perfectly defrosted.  Who knew.  I love our new technological gadgetry.


 
The Sautéed Vegetables 

Then I thinly sliced the seven stalks of chives, while Suzette grilled the steak to medium rare and heated two PPI Baked Potatoes in the microwave.

She covered the grilled steak with aluminum foil to allow it to cook a bit longer and coalesce its juices while I went downstairs to select a wine.  Suzette reminded me again that she wants to drink light reds.  I soon found a bottle of 2013 Murphy Goode Pinot Noir.  It is a rarity that I can not recall where I bought a bottle, but there were five or six bottles of 2013 Murphy Goode Pinot Noir in the basement, which means I must have bought a case or two of it at a good price.  But the circumstances have slipped from memory.  Anyway it was a smooth but solid Pinot.  No rough edges.  Suzette loved it and was even happier when I told her there were several more bottles.

The charbroiled steak just before it was removed from the grill


Dinner is served 

I sliced the steak and poured glasses of wine and we took our plates and glasses of wine to the gazebo table and enjoyed a lovely dinner in the cool evening breeze.

F
The 2013 Murphy Goode Pinot 

Suzette took a second glass and we sat and talked for a while. About what we wanted to do for our birthdays this year

We came back inside at 7:30  as the sky darkened and watched the news and Last of a Breed, a concert with Willy Nelson, Merle Haggard, and Ray Price on PBS, and went to bed at 9:30.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment