Saturday, June 29, 2019

June 28, 2019 Lunch – Mega Composed Cobb Salad. Dinner – Hamburgers with Sautéed Spinach, Mushrooms, and onions

June 28, 2019 Lunch – Mega Composed Cobb Salad. Dinner – Hamburgers with Sautéed Spinach, Mushrooms, and onions

I slept until 7:30 when Suzette left for work. I ate a larger than usual breakfast of two slices of whole wheat bagel smeared with cream cheese and garnished with chunks of white fish and then  rode the four mile short route with good power. Then showered and dressed and worked until 12:00, when I drove to Lowe’s and bought a headb of lovely red leaf lettuce and a bottle of tonic water.

I went home and made a huge composed salad.  I fried two slices of thick cur smoked bacon.  Then I filled a pasta bowl with torn leaves of lettuce and added a pickled egg, the two pieces of bacon crumbled, 1 ½ tomato diced, 1/3 cucumber sliced, a piece of Aji tuna sliced, three green onions sliced, 1 ½ dill pickles, a slice of blue cheese, and dressed the salad with a Cesar dressing.  I also sliced five Persian cucumbers in half and re-filled the dill pickle jar.

I watched the French lose to the U.S. women’s soccer team in the quarter finals of the World Cup competition in France as I nibbled my lovely large composed Cobb like salad and drank water.


After the match I checked my stock portfolio and was happy to see that it had increased by almost ¾% today.

I then worked until 4:00 when I watched Mad Money and at 5:00 napped for an hour.

 At 4:00 I thawed two hamburgers.  By 8:00 they were thawed.  Suzette fetched and I chopped 1/3 onion, four or five mushrooms, and de-stemmed a bunch of spinach and rinsed it.

Suzette took control of the stove, sautéing both the hamburgers and the sautéed vegetables.

I opened a bottle of 2014 Chateau Roudier, appellation Montagne - St. Emilion, a thoroughly delightful wine.  At $12.99 at Trader Joe’s this May be my favorite red wine for beef.  It is a classic Bordeaux blend of 65% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 10% Cabernet Franc.

She added slices of blue cheese to the top of each hamburger after the flip and I went to the garden and picked six small tops of fresh thyme that I added to the mushroom, onion, and spinach sauté along with 2 T. of Amontillado sherry at the end of its cooking, which is how I like to season sautéed mushrooms.

Suzette set the table and fetched catsup and I poured glasses of wine.  Then she ladled a pile of the vegetable sauté in the middle of each plate and lay a hamburger on each pile.  I took a picture of my plate and then added some catsup to my plate to dip pieces of hamburger into.




I won’t say it was a perfect dinner but it was maximally satisfying. The wine and food complement was perfect.  I have always loved St. Emilion with beef and that love affair continued tonight.

While we were eating Willy called us from the bosque where he was riding his bike and rode over on his way home.  Suzette left him a part of her hamburger and spinach and onion medley, but he decided on chicken enchiladas instead, so I ate the rest of Suzette’s dinner while Willy heated chicken enchiladas and Suzette moved to her chair in front of the TV.

During dinner we watched the news, mostly about the first Democratic debate and Trump’s pandering to Putin at the G20 meeting and discussed the strategy of the Democratic Party for the 2020 election.

With the recent gerrymandering case decision by the U.S. Supreme Court, it looks like the conservatives have a perfect strategy available to them to seek to gain control of the state legislatures so they can gerrymander Congressional districts and regain control of the House of Representatives for another generation, while the Democrats are diverted by their Presidential candidate process.

After dinner Willy left to go drink beer with friends and  I drank a sip of Calvados and ate a piece of chocolate and almond candy with Suzette and we went to bed at 9:30.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment