Tuesday, June 25, 2019

June 25, 2019 Lunch – Pork and Ratatouille over Couscous. Dinner – Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon with Broccoli and onion Couscous

June 25, 2019 Lunch – Pork and Ratatouille over Couscous. Dinner – Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon with Broccoli and onion Couscous

Another day of eating mostly PPIs.

I skipped breakfast but by 11:30 I was hungry so I seared a pork steak and then sliced it into 1/2 inch slices and smeared the slices with harissa.  I then spooned Couscous into a pasta bowl and covered it with Ratatouille and laid the seared pork on top and heated the dish covered with Saran in the microwave for about 2 minutes until the pork was fully cocked and the Couscous and Ratatouille heated.

I drank water with this rather uninspired lunch and thought about the poor in Morocco eating something similar, but with better spices.

But dinner was an entirely different story.

Last night before  went to bed I made teriyaki sauce and marinated the 1.6 lb. filet of salmon I bought at Sprouts for $7.99/lb. in it overnight in a gallon freezer bag.

Tonight I rested until 8:00 while Suzette created a lovely and very flavorful Couscous dish by sautéing the remaining PPI couscous with chopped onion and steamed chopped broccoli in the pan we had cooked the bacon in last night.  I had poured off the bacon grease today before I seared the pork streak so the only thing left in the pan was the residual bacon drippings to flavor the Couscous.  The result was delicious, a super flavorful combination.

Suzette Grilled the salmon on a cedar plank to just beyond seared but at very high heat.  Here is a picture of her technique.  It creates crisp edges and a super moist and just at the edge of seared in the  middle.  Note the darker reddish seared portion in the center.





I opened the bottle of Roaroa New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc that I bought at a Trader Joe’s for about $7.00 and it was a nicely balanced wine, not too citrus and not too sweet and with some character.  I liked it a lot.

We do not have as many garlic plants this year and we havevthinnedbthem a bit, so we are starting to get extra large heads of garlic.  Here is a picture of the first picking.



I ate some grapes and clafoutis for dessert with a cup of citrus Earl Grey tea.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment