Wednesday, June 19, 2019

June 19, 2019. Lunch – PPI Chirashi. Dinner – PPI Ribs and Potato Salad and Ratatouille

June 19, 2019. Lunch – PPI Chirashi.  Dinner – PPI Ribs and Potato Salad and Ratatouille

Today Is Juneteenth. A day celebrated with music and dressing up in Texas, especially by African Americans.  It commemorates June 19, 1865, the day slaves in Galveston, Texas were told they had been emancipated, two years after the fact and the last day of slavery for any American.  Until 1900 when it suffered the deadliest hurricane in American history, Galveston was Texas’ major seaport and port of entry. Several Texas relatives of mine entered the US through Galveston during that period.

For breakfast I ate two slices of whole wheat bagel smeared with cream cheese and garnished with thin slices of onion and bits of white fish with tea.


For lunch I ate the PPI Chirashi from Monday’s lunch with Robert and Marilyn.

 I think I napped from 3:30 to 4:30.

At 4:30 I drove to El Super for the weekly produce specials.  This week I was drawn by zucchini and bananas for $.33/lb. and 4 mangos or 4 bunches of green onions for $.99.  Also on sale, but not specials were broccoli, cauliflower, Persian cucumbers, Roma tomatoes, and limes all for $.50/lb.

I also bought requeson, Monterrey Jack cheese, spinach, and blue corn tortillas for enchiladas and pork smoked cutlets, eggs, two packets of chocolate wafer cookies, and a cucumber.

When I returned home at 5:45 I cut the Persian cucumbers in half and filled the dill pickle jar with them.  Then I made

Ratatouille

I diced the large eggplant I bought at Sprouts, 2 small onions, a small head of garlic, ½ Pasilla Chile, and four zucchini and sautéed those ingredients in olive oil in a large pot.  I then went to the garden and picked a handful of oregano stalks.  The oregano is starting to put out flowers, so at its zenith of bloom and lovely.

I de-stemmed the leaves and added about 1 cup of chopped fresh oregano to the Ratatouille.  I then diced and added three large Roma tomatoes snd let the mixture simmer for about an hour.
While the Ratatouille was simmering I heated four or five PPI BBQ Pork ribs in the microwave for 2:34 minutes and added cool potato salad to the plate and a dill pickle and ate a wonderful dinner.  A bit later I heated two more ribs by laying them on the surfaces the Ratatouille covered for a few minutes and then spooned some Ratatouille and the ribs into a bowl and ate a bit more dinner.  It lacked salt, but otherwise was delicious.

A few minutes later I ate several scoops of mocha almond fudge ice cream with chocolate syrup and a dash of Kahlua to get my daily dose of medium chain fatty acids.

I got in bed at 9:00 and blogged and read Vida by Delacorta, who wrote Diva for a while.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment