Thursday, June 27, 2019

June 26, 2019 Lunch – Vietnam 2000. Dinner – Blue Corn Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sauce

June 26, 2019 Lunch – Vietnam 2000. Dinner – Blue Corn Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sauce

Today I enjoyed every meal and made a Green Chile sauce for the first time.  It was a fabulous food day

I started early eating a bowl of granola with yogurt, grapes, and milk for  breakfast at 7:15. Then I rode to 10 miles to Montano without any ill effect.

Whenever I exercise I get hungry, so I drove to Vietnam 2000 for lunch at 1:00 and ordered my favorite summertime dish, Bun Cha Gio with grilled pork and extra basil, cilantro and mung bean sprouts.  I ate the whole bowl which is substantial, but I blamed it on the exercise.


I then drove toEl Super for the Wednesday produce specials.  I bought a papaya, tomatillos, green Chiles and a pineapple for $.50/lb.  I bought onions, a cucumber oranges,
Persian cucumbers, and a LaLa Mexican peach yogurt.  I returned home at 3:30 and put the groceries away and then started making the

Green Chile sauce.

I diced 1 onion, the two green Chile’s, and the six fresh tomatillos.  I sautéed the onion and Green Chile for about ten to fifteen minutes.

I put the six diced tomatillos in a pot covered with water and brought them to a boil and then simmered them.

When the diced Chile and onion softened I combined them with the tomatillos and simmered them together and then added 29 oz. of Pato Green Enchilada sauce to the mixture.

I then put the ten pound block of chicken hind quarters in a large pot filled about 3 inches deep with water that I heated to a boil.  I was then able to separate four hind quarters from the large block of frozen chicken.  I brought the pot of water to a simmer and then separated the leg from each thigh.  I added enough water to cover and when Suzette arrived I turned over galley duty to her and went to meditate.

When I returned at 6:50 I found the green chili sauce simmering and the boiled chicken in a colander cooling..

I gathered the ingredients I had bought to make the enchiladas; a block of Monterrey jack cheese, a pint of requeson, blue corn tortillas, and I fetched our large Pyrex baking dish that holds six tortillas flat on the bottom.  I deboned and shredded the chicken a bit.  It filled a medium sized bowl. I also sprayed the bottom of the baking dish with cooking oil so the tortillas would not stick to the bottom. We could have spread sauce over the bottom, instead.  Suzette shredded about 2/3 lb. of cheese in the Cuisinart.

Then Suzette softened 6 tortillas in a small skillet filled with a mixture of chicken stock and green chili sauce and laid them in a flat layer across the bottom of the baking dish.  We then added ½ of the chicken in a loose layer and then added the two types of cheese and a layer of sauce.  We repeated this for a second layer and then added another layer of softened tortillas and the rest of the grated cheese and the rest of the sauce that filled the baking dish almost to the top lip.





We then baked the enchiladas in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes until everything was melted and hot and sauce was bubbling around the edges.

Note how the cheese baked into a crisp topping

I fetched two Negra Modelos and we had a lovely dinner.

I ate more enchiladas instead of dessert.  The tortillas were tender, like pastry.  This was one of the best chicken enchiladas I have ever made.  I usually make them with red chili, but I loved making a fresh green chili sauce with green chilis and fresh tomatillos and onions.

I am a convert to green chili chicken enchiladas.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment