Sunday, June 2, 2019

June 1, 2019 Lunch – Salad. Dinner – Cajun Shrimp Enchiladas

June 1, 2019 Lunch – Salad. Dinner – Cajun Shrimp Enchiladas

I am working on my pleadings in the water case so my descriptions will be shorter .

Lunch was a salad of Romaine lettuce, a diced tomato, two diced dill pickles, cucumbers slices, green onion and several chunks of Lebanon bologna and cheddar cheese and several dried black olives and several green cracked olives. I loved it.  No toast.

After lunch I drove to the new public library ay Unser and centrral.  It is a beautiful new one story building that I would describe as poet-modern International style. I checked out this month’s book and a documentary on The life of James Beard.

I then stopped at Albertsons on the way back home.  There were no meat specials but dairy was on sale.  I bought a ½ gallon of half and half, a 24 oz, container of sour cream, a pint of heavy cream, and a gallon of milk.

I then stopped at El Super where I bought a lovely bunch of red beets, two leeks, three Mexican squash, and a bag of limes, not wanting to leave the dairy in the car very long.

At 4:30 after unloading the comestibles, I rode to the Nature Center. My  newly attached cleats worked great, holding the pedals firmly, canted a bit outward just the way I had hoped.

Suzette had arrived soon after I returned home.

I wanted to use up:more PPIs, so I suggested we make Shrimp enchiladas to rid ourselves of the PPI BBQ shrimp, the last dozen blue corn tortillas, and some old mozzarella cheese, and requeson.

Suzette thought it was a great idea because the BBQ shrimp were already cooked in Prudhomme’s seasoning, which removed a big step in the prep.  Here is Prudhomme’s recipe.


I shelled and chopped the shrimp, being careful to preserve the sauce, which Suzette mixed with 1 ½ cups of heavy cream to make a creamy Cajun enchilada sauce. When she heated the tortillas in oil to soften them they fell apart and the requeson had gone bad.

After Suzette put the enchiladas in the oven to bake for 30 minutes, I sliced the two leeks into thin semi-circles and the peeled and thinly sliced six russet potatoes.  I placed the sliced leek and potatoes into a large enameled Le Creuset casserole and added 2 quarts of water and 1 T. of salt and simmered the ingredients for 50 minutes partially covered as the recipe directed.

The enchilada dish was one of those delicious disasters.  After the postage started simmering I snapped a pile of green beans and Suzette steamed them in a Pyrex loaf pan with a bit of water covered with Saran in the microwave for a couple of minutes.





We ate the enchiladas in near silence having both worked all day as we watched Rachel illuminate the political events of the day.

After dinner we watched the James Beard documentary and were rejuvenated and inspired to cook great food again.

Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment