Tuesday, July 31, 2018

July 31, 2018 Lunch – Garcia’s Dinner – Sautéed Pepper, beef, pineapple, tomatoes, and onion over Cauliflower Couscous

July 31, 2018 Lunch – Garcia’s  Dinner – Sautéed Pepper, beef, pineapple, tomatoes, and onion over Cauliflower Couscous

I ate another 1/3 bagel slice smeared with cream cheese and garnished with Lax, onion slices, and capers with green tea around 7:30.


Max arrived at 8:30 and we called in to the court for our hearing at 9:15 a.m.

After the hearing at 10:00 we decided to go for brunch at Garcia’s at 1736  Central NW near the house.  Garcia’s is a classic neighborhood New Mexican restaurant.  Thankfully it serves breakfast anytime because my favorite dish is on the Breakfast menu; Huevos Locos, which is actually Machaca, but drenched in red or green Chile.  So it important to tell them to leave out the jalapeños if you value your stomach.





Max ordered Huevos Rancheros with green.  All dishes are served with cottage fries and retried beans.  Although you have your choice of a flour tortilla, corn tortillas or a sopapilla, we each ordered corn tortillas, which are served warm from the griddle.

We both drank water.

I loved my dish, but may try to order it Mexican style with some jalapeños and no Chile sauce next time.

I was uncomfortably stuffed from my two breakfasts, so for lunch I drank a Modelo Especial beer.

I worked and napped until 4:00, when I drove to Smith’s at University and Coal.  This was the last day for last week’s specials.  I bought cherries for $.97/lb., a Santa Claus melon for $.99/lb., 10 chicken thighs for $.77/lb., milk for $1.99/gallon, and Land o’ Lakes butter for $2.50/lb.

Soon after I returned home Suzette arrived at 5:00 just as I was starting to watch the Daily Business Report.

We decided to utilize the four small bell peppers Willy brought us from his roof top garden to make a pepper beef.  I also decided to add some fresh pineapple and onion. Suzette wanted to cut the peppers and onion into ultra thin strips, so that is what I did and then sliced 2/3 of the PPI ribeye steak into slices.  I then removed the outer layer of a pineapple and cut ½ of it into wedges.  Suzette diced several cloves of garlic and two tomatoes from our garden and began sautéing the peppers, garlic, and onion in a large skillet.  She also made cauliflower Couscous by chopping cauliflower flowerets in the Cuisinart and put ½ in each of two pasta bowls.







Suzette then added the tomatoes and pineapple to the skillet and cooked them for a couple of minutes before adding the beef strips.  I added about 2 T. of Thai Chile sauce and about 1 T. of chopped pickled ginger threads.  After a couple more minutes everything seemed to go into a homogenous mass and we ladled spoonfuls on the cauliflower Couscous.  We each drank a beer.  The dish was interesting but not great, although we were happy to use so many ingredients

After dinner we ate a few bites of fig Clafoutis and talked to Janis, who had just returned from Washington, where they saw Hamilton at the Kennedy Center.

We went to bed after watching no passport needed, a new cooking show on PBS.

Suzette suggested we make another fresh fig Clafoutis and I agreed, even though I fully intend to make another cherry clafoutis.  I have gone Clafoutis crazy since I found the secret to making a homogenous custard.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment