Friday, July 27, 2018

July 27, 2018 Lunch – Ichi ban. Dinner – New Recipe. Tandoori Lamb Kebabs with Grilled Corn and Asparagus and two sauces

July 27, 2018 Lunch – Ichi ban. Dinner – New Recipe. Tandoori Lamb Kebabs with Grilled Corn and Asparagus and two sauces

I watched Stage 19 of the Tour de France and met with clients from 10:00 to noon, so was unable to stop some of the disaster happening in the Tech stocks.

I ate a few bites of clafoutis for a wonderful breakfast.

At 12:15 I called Robert Mueller and we decided to meet at Ichi ban for lunch.  He ordered the dinner chirashi and I ordered the lunch chirashi.  Here is a picture.



Mine came with the fish I specified, salmon, tuna, ultra white and octopus plus squid salad and seaweed salad.  The chef gave me red fish instead of yellowtail, but the red fish melted in my mouth, so I felt good about that substitution.

Robert’s dinner chirashi was 50% more fish and extra daikon, egg omelet, and several other things.  The lunch chirashi is $16.95 and the dinner chirashi was $21.95.  I took about half of mine home.

I stopped at El Super on the way home and bought two lb. of Persian cucumbers to be served with dinner.

Suzette was at home when I returned, so we discussed dinner.  Since I had marinated the lamb yesterday, we agreed to grill the lamb.  Since we were grilling, Suzette suggested also grilling corn and asparagus.  She fetched the two ears of corn from the garage and soaked them in their husks in water.  The recipe called for sprinkling the kebabs with mint, but Suzette decided to make the Bobby Flay mint sauce with honey, mint, a bit of chili, and purslane instead of parsley.  She also left out the chili tonight.  The sauce is easy because you purée all the ingredients.  The lamb recipe called for reserving some of the tandoori marinade for a sauce and loosening it with milk, which I did.  I remember a very famous Swedish breakfast beverage called filmjolk, that was drinkable yogurt.  Also, when I eat granola, I mix the yogurt with milk to make a kind of filmjolk, so I knew thinning the marinade with milk would not impair the flavor, because the milk would be converted to yogurt

or a sort of filmjolk.  I added about ¼ cup of milk and the sauce loosened but did not change flavor.



and the milk became integrated with the sauce.

I called Willy and invited him to join us for dinner and he texted that he would arrive in 30 minutes.  So Suzette fetched skewers and I skewered the chunks of marinated lamb and sliced an onion into four slices.  Then Suzette grilled the lamb, asparagus, onion, and corn.

I fetched a bottle of Famille Perrin Cotes Du Rhone red but did not open it because we had enough PPI Cherry Blossom Pinot Noir to fill three glasses.

Suzette suggested we eat outside, so she set the table under the gazebo while poured the wine and cut slices of French bread.

Suzette brought the grilled items in and plated three plates.  Within five minutes after we sat down and took photos Willy arrived, went to the kitchen to pick up his plate of food and joined us.









There were two interesting developments. Willy told us he chairs a Friday meeting at MRCOG regarding transportation issues that went well today.  The other exciting development is that our pond has cleared and there appear to be two new generations of baby fish.  The pond seems to be healthy finally and we have breeding goldfish.  Voila.

The dinner was amazing.  I loved the lamb with each of the sauces.  There was ¼ tsp. of cayenne in the tandoori marinade, so the absence of chili and parsley in the Bobby Flay mint sauce were pluses,  as the slightly sweet honey  flavored mint sauce complemented the spicy tandoori sauce and marinade.

Willy showed us on his Accuweather app how there was a big thunderstorm approaching Albuquerque.  As we ate we could see it approaching.  We finished dinner at 7:45 and went back inside to watch Washington Week at 8:00.  When it ended Willy left so he could watch the storm from his third floor apartment and we watched The British Baking Show and then went to bed.

During the Baking Show we ate the rest of the Clafoutis.  This was the most successful Clafoutis I have ever made because the milk was thick enough to blend with the flour and sugar instead of the flour separating from the custard.  Here is a picture that shows how it looks with integrated ingredients.







I am still awake at 11:25  and the rain just stopped falling.This appears to be the most rain we have had all year.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment