Thursday, July 26, 2018

July 25, 2018 Lunch – Tabouli Salad. Dinner – Swordfish Kebabs and Grilled Asparagus


July 25, 2018 Lunch – Tabouli Salad. Dinner – Swordfish Kebabs and Grilled Asparagus

I watched Stage 17.  It was a mountain stage in the Pyrenees.  Quintana came out of the doldrums and won a mountain top finish by a minute.

I also did another sale and purchase back of Apple stock and made a $938.00 profit.

At 11:30 I went to Susan and Charlie’s house to discuss the book club meeting tomorrow evening and then drove to El Super to do some shopping for the Wednesday specials.  I bought onions 3 lb. for $.99, large avocados for $.89 each, beautiful green beans were $.99/lb., limes were $.89 for 2 lb., Roma tomatoes were 2 lb. for $.99, mushrooms for $1.98/lb., perfect Persian cucumbers for 2 lb. for $.99, green onion bunches and cucumbers for 3 for $.99, etc.

The fun thing for me was seeing  Zul and Anverali at the Super also buying lots of produce.  We checked out at the same time.

I then drove home and unloaded the car and made a tabouli salad with a fresh heart of romaine lettuce suzette bought at Costco, tabouli, Lane, a diced Roma tomato, kalamata olives, 1 ½ Persian cucumbers, and green onion. I toasted a piece of whole wheat bread and spread Boursin cheese on it and drank cool water to cool myself as the temperature neared 100 degrees as I enjoyed the cool salad.


After lunch I lay down for a few minutes to rest and regain my strength.

It turned out to be a good day in the market that was ruined shortly after the close when Facebook announced a reduction of engagement in Europe and a slowing profit growth rate in the future.  As of 3:00 a.m. on Thursday, the stock is down 17% or $36.00/share, which for me is a loss of $19,000.  I would hate to be a hedge fund manager today.

At 3:30 I drove to Sprouts and bought Magnesium Citrate for Susan, milk, Greek yogurt, blueberries, Italian sausages, a 1 lb. swordfish filet, granola, and for the party, toffee coated peanuts, and chocolate coated raisins.

I returned home at 4:30 and watched a bit of Cramer.  While was watching Suzette arrived and the minute she saw my swollen face, said “We need to apply a cold compress to your eye.”  She fetched a washcloth and set it and put it in the freezer to freeze.

Then we discussed dinner.  We decided to cook the swordfish tonight.  Suzette soon found an interesting recipe for swordfish kebabs on the Internet.  She made the glaze of honey, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and olive oil, sort of a simple BBQ sauce.  I went to the basement and fetched a 2013 Matua New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and put it into the freezer to chill andbfetchedbthreevsdditional skewers from the basement.  Then Suzette filled skewers with 1 1/2 inch cubes of swordfish, Vidalia onion, tomato and peaches from our tree.  We decided to grill asparagus with the kebabs, so while I called Willy to invite him to dinner and applied the cold washcloth to my eye, Suzette fired up the grill to 400 degrees and grilled the kebabs and asparagus.


Willy arrived a bit later and soon we were eating a delicious fresh grilled meal and sipping Sauvignon Blanc.  My impression of the kebabs and asparagus was that they had a woodsy flavor from being grilled over an open flame.  The glaze enhanced the otherwise rather bland flavor of the swordfish.  Also, the 2013 Matua was excellent.  We both agreed that it’s flavor and clarity had been improved from cellaring it for four years ( I bought it January 9, 2015 at Costco for $7.99, which I think still sells it for the same price.).




Later, Suzette and I ate the last of the Clafoutis.  I added whipped cream and a splash of Grand Marnier to mine and made a cup of green tea.

We watched several soccer matches in the Heinekens International Champions Invitational with Willy until a bit after 9:00 when he left and we went to bed.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment