Tuesday, July 31, 2018

July 30, 2018 Lunch – PPI Chirashi. Dinner Foil Baked Stuffed Coho Salmon and tomato, cucumber, onion, green bean, and avocado Salad

July 30, 2018 Lunch – PPI Chirashi. Dinner Foil Baked Stuffed Coho Salmon and tomato, cucumber, onion, green bean, and avocado Salad

I sliced a 1/3 thick slice of bagel, toasted it, spread cream cheese, and lay slices of onion and Lax on it and sprinkled it with six or seven capers and ate it with a cup of green tea for breakfast.

Then at noon I dumped the small container with the ½ of the Lunch Chirashi I did not eat at Ichi Ban on Friday onto a plate.  I removed the wasabi and pickled ginger and cut each piece of Sashimi into four or five small pieces.  The seafood included yellowtail, tuna, salmon, Ultra white and octopus.  There was also a large quantity of shredded daikon and some seaweed salad and squid salad. I made a fresh cup of green tea and half filled a dipping bowl with soy sauce and stirred in some still fresh wasabi and ate a delicious lunch.

Today I received several checks so after lunch I went to the bank twice and took a short nap.

When I returned home at 5:00 Suzette had arrived.  She had coordinated dinner with Willy on
Saturday after we bought a whole coho salmon.  Willy had offered to pick produce from his roof garden.  We had agreed to bake the Whole Coho salmon we had purchased at Costco for $5.99/lb..  I checked the Swedish Cookbook Recipe for stuffed fish and discovered it recommended green onion, dill, chive, parsley, butter and lemon juice.  Suzette uses white wine, butter, and lemon juice and slices in her recipe for foil baked fish, so we decided to stuff the salmon and bake it in foil.

I love thyme with fish, so I went to the garden and picked a small handful of Thyme, dill weed, and six or seven chive stalks.  I removed the stems from the thyme and dill and chopped the chives into 1 inch long strips.  I also thinly sliced two green onions.  Suzette went to the front and picked a basket of puselane and de-stemmed the leaves.  I then chopped all the stuffing ingredients.  Suzette then massaged butter into the ingredients to bind them together a bit and stuffed them into the stomach cavity of the salmon.  We removed the tail and wrapped the fish in twine to hold the stuffing in.  Then Suzette placed the fish in a double layer of foil and lightly doused it with white wine and lemon juice and crimped the edges of the foil together to seal the fish and ingredients inside a foil envelope.  She then roasted the fish over moderate heat on the grill for 1 hour.

Willy arrived with fresh tomatoes, a cucumber, okra, green beans and several small ichi ban eggplants. We decided to make a tomato, onion, cucumber, and green bean salad dressed with a balsamic dressing.  We added several tomatoes from our garden.  Willy diced the tomatoes and I diced three oz. of onion and peeled, seeded, and diced the medium cucumber.  Willy diced the cooked green beans and an avocado and Suzette made the balsamic dressing.

When the salmon was ready we plated small bowls with salad and Suzette placed some cooking juices, a piece of salmon and some stuffing on each of three plates.



We discussed wines and Willy suggested red wine.  It just so happened that I had chilled a bottle of 2013 Famille Perrin Reserve Cotes Du Rhone, so I opened that and poured it.  The red wine’s acidity went well with the salmon and slightly sweet salad.  Willy loved it.

Half the salmon was left and Suzette threatens to make salmon croquettes.  I will cheer her on.  I love them.



After dinner we made tea and ate spoonfuls of Fig Clafoutis, my most successful one to date.

Another delicious, healthy, simple but elegant dinner.

At 9:00 we watched the American Masters show on James Beard and went to bed at 10:00.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment