Thursday, October 5, 2023

October 4, 2023 Lunch - Sashimi. Dinner - Potage (Leek and Potato Soup

 October 4, 2023 Lunch - Sashimi. Dinner - Potage (Leek and Potato Soup)


Today I ate several snacks plus a lunch and dinner to belie the two meal theory.


I started at 8:30 with three small sandwiches, two of Cloudberry jam and slices of Gouda cheese and one of Gouda and salami and cured ham with a cup of chai.




At 2:00 I drove to the County building and filed a probate.


When I returned at 3:00 I filled a plate with I made sushi rice by heating two cups plus two T. of water with pieces of dried wakame seaweed, a tsp. of dehydrated dashi, a T. of mirin, and two T. each of sugar and rice vinegar. When the liquid came to a boil, I added 1 cup of jasmine rice and simmered it 30 minutes. The resulting rice was moist, 


As the rice simmered, I sliced and filled a platter with five ingredients slices of avocado, Aji tuna, sea scallops, carrot and cucumber., filled a dipping bowl with wasabi and soy, and another bowl with pickled ginger.


I made green tea and Suzette and I enjoyed a really pleasant lunch.




I guess I ate a little late because I got tired walking the three blocks to the bank and back after lunch.


When I return from the bank at 5:00 I lay down for a few minutes until 5:30.


When I returned to the kitchen Suzette was making an apple streusel bunt cake. I made two small herring and herring salad sandwiches that I ate with a shot of Danish Aalborg Akquavit and then decided to make potato and Leek soup using the recipe for Vichyssoise by substituting chicken broth for water.



I peeled and sliced three large Yukon’s Gold potatoes and three leeks and put them into a large casserole. 




I follow the recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  Leek and potato soup is the first recipe in the book and the easiest.  Four cups of sliced leeks, four cups of sliced, 2 quarts of water (or chicken stock for Vichyssoise), 1 T. of salt and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes. 


While the leeks and potatoes simmered Suzette cooked some of the pork belly we bought at Costco in the heated oven in which she had baked the Bundt Cake.




At 9:00 the soup was cooked and Suzette pureed it with the emulsifier.


We each took a bowl of the soup and added some cream to make it into Potage and I finely minced some parsley to garnish the soup for a light dinner.


I went to bed at 9:30 but Suzette stayed up and at 10:00 had a fabulous dinner of Potage, Pork belly, and a slice of apple streusel cake with a sniffer of cognac.


I guess we have started cooking again.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment