Thursday, October 26, 2023

October 26, 2023 Lunch - Pita Pocket sandwiches with dolmas and pickles. Dinner - Foie Gras Salad

October 26, 2023 Lunch - Pita Pocket sandwiches with dolmas and pickles. Dinner - Foie Gras Salad 


I awakened at 6:30 and watched the news. The all consuming issue was a mass shooter in Maine who killed 19 yesterday and who is still not found.


Of course the siege of Gaza by the Israelis continues, with small incursions and some fighting continuing.


The market went down again. I was upset and chose not to check my portfolio today.


At 9:30 I ate a bowl of granola with milk, yogurt and raspberries.




Then at 11:30 I made pita pockets sandwiches stuffed with cured ham, slices of tomato and onion, and labni.


I ate the sandwiches with dolmas and pickles and drank a glass of mint flavored yogurt drink.



From 1:00 to 3:30 I napped.


Then after I watched the news, at 5:00 I walked to the country club and back. 


Willy met me on the way back with a vermouth in his hand.  When I returned I drank a red vermouth also. Suzette has been buying Lustau vermouth, which is an excellent Spanish vermouth.


We did not have any dinner plan so I left it to Suzette.  She came up with a great idea, to prepare the foie gras salad we ate at Hotel Jeison in Comillas, Spain.


I grated 1/3 of a 6 oz. tube of frozen duck and pork foie gras mousse (Eurozone for $8.99) onto three salads of bibb lettuce, watercress, sliced eggs and radishes with a balsamic and olive oil dressing made by Suzette.


Willy fetched a bottle of Carayon rose from Provence.  It is a light wine in both color and flavor that allowed the foie gras to dominate the salad.





We enjoyed the salad that reminded us of the one in Comillas except the frozen foie gras was shaved in Comillas.


After dinner Willy toasted rounds of baguette and we ate slices of Point Reyes Blue cheese and brie on baguette rounds with the last of the wine.




Then Willy ate a warmed Belgium chocolate filled crepe, a ate a chocolate cream filled cookie, and Suzette ate a bowl of vanilla ice cream garnished with chocolate syrup and raspberries.




I also sipped a bit of cognac with a splash of Grand Marnier and Suzette sipped a cognac.


We looked for Jose Andres’ recipe for apples in a red wine syrup and finally found it in Season 1 of Jose Andres’ Taste of Spain, Episode 13. 

La Rioja on PBS.


At 10:30 we went to bed after Suzette wrote down the recipe.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment