Friday, October 27, 2023

October 27, 2023 Lunch - Vietnam 2000. Dinner - Grilled Steak and Asparagus with Potatoes Savoyard

October 27, 2023 Lunch - Vietnam 2000. Dinner - Grilled Steak and Asparagus with Potatoes Savoyard


I woke up at 4:00 and watched the news and went back to sleep at 5:30 and slept until 7:30.


When the market opened I bought an additional 25 shares of Enphase and watched a bit as the NASDAQ went up a bit but the Dow went down.  Luckily, I had a small gain.


At 9:00 I toasted two slices of bagel and spread cream cheese on them and garnished them with slices of onion and gravad lax and capers and drank a cup of tea.




I worked for a while and then made arrangements to meet Peter for lunch at Vietnam 2000 at noon.


When he arrived he ordered my favorite, No. 76, Soup with egg noodles and a duck leg quarter.




I have been eating lots of duck so I chose No. 58, Pho with rice noodles and rare beef and meatballs.


We both liked our meals and ate most of them. This was the first time I have eaten pho at Vietnam 2000 under the new ownership and I must admit, I was impressed.  The food seems to be getting better as time goes by.


After lunch I drove to Talin and bought two lb. of anchovies, two duck leg quarters, mung bean sprouts, and snow peas.


I then drove to Smith’s and did some heavy shopping.  I bought six huge porterhouse steaks for $5.99/lb., green onions, spumoni ice cream, two avocados, green seedless grapes, flour, bagels, Havarti with dill, cream cheese, milk, cookies, and a whole chicken.


When I arrived at home Suzette helped me carry everything into the house.


We rested for a while. I napped from 3:30 to 4:30 and then at 5:00 Suzette napped until 7:00.  She is not feeling well due to a reaction to a Covid booster shot she got yesterday.


Dinner -


Potatoes Savoyard - I went to the kitchen and sliced five Yukon Gold potatoes and rubbed the bottom of a 9 x 9 inch Pyrex baking dish with garlic and butter and then lay 1/2 of the sliced potatoes in the baking dish.  I then salted and peppered the potatoes and lay four dabs of butter and slices of Havarti with dill on the first half. Then I put the rest of the potatoes on top and again salted and peppered and put 5 dabs of butter and another layer of havarti and 1 1/4 cup of beef broth. I then covered the dish with aluminum and baked the potatoes for Thirty minutes.


I also snapped 10 stalks of asparagus. 


Suzette came into the kitchen and took over.  She tossed the asparagus in a freezer bag with olive oil and herbs.


She also salted and peppered the large porterhouse steak and set the timer for an additional 30 minutes for the potatoes to bake and removed the aluminum foil from the potatoes’ baking pan.


I opened a bottle of 2019 Bordeaux Fonladet and poured us each a taste. The wine was initially chalky and tight but soon opened up.




Soon Suzette had cooked the thick big steak to rare and grilled the asparagus.



She brought in the steak and covered it with foil to keep it cooking.


I then sliced the fillet and half of the sirloin off the steak and sliced them.


Suzette plated potatoes and asparagus and I plated three slices of meat on her plate and six on mine.




We found the catsup in the fridge and I put some on my plate.


I poured wine and we ate a wonderful meal.


We watched the Rangers come from behind to tie with a Corey Seager homer in the 8th and a winning homer in the 11th by Garcia. It was a thrill to see the Rangers start the World Series with a win.


I ate a bowl of Spumoni ice cream later in the evening and watched the New York City Ballet on PBS.


This is the first day I have eaten three good sized meals.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment