Thursday, November 5, 2020

November 4, 2020 Lunch – Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup with meatballs. Dinner – BLT Sandwiches and Bananas Foster and Gruet Brut

 November 4, 2020 Lunch – Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup with meatballs. Dinner – BLT Sandwiches and Bananas Foster and Gruet Brut

This turned out to be a memorable day for three reasons.  Suzette’s clients at her facility tested negative for Covid 19, I had the best day ever in the stock market, and it looks like Biden will win the presidential race.

I attended the on line Business Law seminar from 9:00 until 4:00.  It was mostly about Cannabis and diversity, but I enjoyed it.  I checked my portfolio gain at 2:00 and was amazed that it had had the best day ever with a gain of 3.5%.  All the big tech went up by past my buy back value.

At 11:00 I started a 2 quart pot of water with 1 tsp. of dehydrated beef stock, a Pho seasoning cube, three types of noodles (40 mm. Rice wafers and bundles of wheat and bean thread noodles), four meat balls   from Suzette’s cassoulet, four leaves of Napa cabbage and three mushrooms sliced, 2 oz. of onion, and after the noodles had cooked for 30 minutes, 1 T. of white miso, four fresh beef meatballs sliced, and some more water because the noodles had absorbed most of the water.

I then thinly sliced two green onions.  I ladled a bowl of noodles and soup and garnished it with green onion slices, cilantro leaves, and a generous squirt of hoisin sauce.



I ate another ½ bowl of soup as I watched a Bar Association lecture on a diversity survey for the seminar.

After lunch I fetched a package of four duck breasts to thaw.

 A few minutes after 2:00 I checked the Market close and almost every stock I owned was up except for a couple of utilities. The NASDAQ was up over 400 points and most of my tech stocks returned to prices above where I bought them in the last market slide in the middle of October, leaving my portfolio within 3.5% from my all time high. I was encouraged that my strategy to add to my positions with the money I made from the sales in October appeared to be working, even though I bought back too early before the market hit its mini-bottom.

The seminar ended at 3:00 and since it was a beautiful warm sunny breezy day I walked ½ mile.  When I returned Suzette called and asked if there was anything we needed from Costco and I said, “Please bring home a package of baguettes.”

Suzette arrived at 5:30 and was hungry because she had not eaten lunch.  After buying bacon at Sprouts yesterday I had been thinking about a spinach salad with bacon dressing, but with the fresh bread and a home grown tomato ripened and sitting in the kitchen window sill, I suggested a BLT sandwich.  Suzette’s eyes opened wide and said, “That would be great. I took a rotting Roma tomato out of the fridge so we could each have a tomato, but Suzette went to the utility room where she was ripening a large quantity of 

tomatoes we picked from out garden the day before our first snow and brought a lovely red tomato.

I fried five slices of bacon and sliced two pieces of bread to the approximate length of a piece of fried bacon.  I fetched the salad mix and mayo from the fridge and Suzette sliced the two tomatoes and an avocado. After toasting the slices of bread we each made our sandwiches.  Suzette’s was with both slices of bread on either side of the bacon, tomato, lettuce, and avocado slices and mine was open faced with a pile of lettuce on the side.  Here is a picture.

 

  After dinner I ate a slice of toasted bread with butter and slices of brie with a glass of 2015 Paton-Clemente Spanish Crianza from La Mancha that I think I bought at Trader Joe’s for $4.99 a couple of years ago.



 Later Suzette made Bananas Foster by sautéing two ripe sliced bananas in butter and brown sugar.  She then added a big splash of rum and lit the rum to flambé the bananas.   
 

 Suzette served the Bananas Foster over a scoop of vanilla ice cream and glasses of champagne to celebrate the three blessings we had received today.

Soon wen were both tired and went to bed at 8:30.

I awakened at 12:30 to finish this blog and watch the continuing coverage of the 2020 General election.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment