Sunday, November 15, 2020

November 15, 2020 Brunch – Lamb, Mushroom, Avocado, Savoy Cabbage, and Gruyere Omelet. Dinner – Grilled Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon with Steamed Green Beans and Lobster Mac and Cheese



 November 15, 2020 Brunch – Lamb, Mushroom, Avocado, Savoy Cabbage, and Gruyere Omelet. Dinner – Grilled Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon with Steamed Green Beans and Lobster Mac and Cheese

I woke up at 5:45 and watched news programs until 10:00.  Then I made a Lamb, Mushroom, Shallot, Garlic, Avocado, Savoy Cabbage, and Gruyere Omelet it was one of the hardiest omelets I have ever made.  I think it would have been better to use goat cheese instead of the Gruyere.  I also toasted three pieces of Bosque Bakery Rustic baguette that we buttered and spread course cut English marmalade on.  We served Tzatziki with the omelet.


After brunch I showered and dressed and we drove to Santa Fe to pick up our paintings we bought 

yesterday at the Santa Fe Art Auction.  We stopped on the way back at Ari’s house in Corrales.  Ari quickly cleaned Suzette’s painting which was in really good condition, but I had to leave my Nordfeldt portrait with Ari for some conservation.

When we arrived at home around 3:00 we took a ½ mile walk. Our neighbors across the street were putting up lots of Christmas decorations.  Thank goodness some folks have the Christmas spirit. 

We returned at 3:30 and at 4:30 Suzette was ready to cook dinner.  I had thawed 4 chicken thighs to boil 

into a broth to use to make mushroom soup, but we decided to make a quick dinner instead, by grilling the fresh filet Mignons and steaming green beans and heating the PPI Lobster Mac and Cheese. I requested 

that we wrap the filets with a slice of bacon.  Suzette agreed and because we knew a slice of raw bacon

 would not cook before the steak, Suzette partially cooked two slices of bacon and then wrapped each steak with a slice held in place with toothpicks.  A very professional prep and the benefit of pre-cooking the bacon was that the bacon was crisp and cooked evenly with the steaks in grilling, which Suzette 

cooked to medium.  The steaks were incredibly tender, as were the green beans, and lobster Mac and cheese that Suzette softened with heavy cream and microwaved to heat.

 

  

I opened a bottle of De Ponte 2017 Dundee Hills Pinot Noir that I recently received.  It was young and raw, had a slightly bitter finish, and lacked the elegance of the De Ponte 2016 Dundee Hills Pinot.  Suzette thought it might be better after aging an additional 5 years, but I probably will not buy any more, as long as I can buy the 2016.





 

After dinner I ate two dark chocolate truffles with the last of my wine and later I ate a Swedish dessert in honor of Nordfeldt, who was born in Sweden, with a cup of chai.



We watched two episodes of Queen’s Gambit on Netflix. 


It was an activity filled day.  The reason why we drove to Santa Fe to pick up our art is because our Governor has mandated a shut down of all non-essential stores beginning tomorrow and it was not clear whether that meant the Auction.


Dinner reminded me of when our family would go out to dinner at the Farmer’s Daughter, which was a sister restaurant to Cattlemen’s, the best steakhouse in Fort Worth. I would always order the petit bacon wrapped filet Mignon.


Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment