Monday, November 9, 2020

November 9, 2020 Lunch – Tunaless Salad Nicoise. Dinner – Sautéed Rib Steak with steamed green beans and asparagus and Lobster Mac and cheese


 November 9, 2020 Lunch – Tunaless Salad Nicoise. Dinner – Sautéed Rib Steak with steamed green beans and asparagus and Lobster Mac and cheese

I awakened around 7:40 and watched the stock news for a while everything started great this morning but deteriorated over the course of the day with the NASDAQ ending down 181 while the Dow was up 835.  The Dow had been up almost double that in the morning with the positive news by Pfizer of a good test result for its Covid vaccine.  Over the course of the day my portfolio went from up 1% to down 1%.

I ate tropical fruit salad, yogurt and granola for breakfast. Then I had a telephonic hearing at 9:00. Then a conversation or two until lunch.  I decided to make a salad for lunch.  We hand all the ingredients for Salad Nicoise except the tuna. I tore Romaine lettuce off their  stem and added a cubed Roma tomato, roasted potatoes, green beans, pitted Kalamata olives and thinly sliced red onion. I refreshed the dressing with olive oil, juice of ½ lemon, and a whisked egg.

I toasted a slice of French baguette and lay slices of Jarlsberg cheese on it and toasted the cheese sandwich in the microwave for 15 seconds to melt the cheese.

After lunch I rested until 3:15 and then participated in another telephonic hearing at 3:30, after which I prepared a letter regarding property taxes for the building Billy and I own in Bedford, Texas, rented by Binswanger Glass Company and several deeds

Suzette came home at 4:15 but I did not emerge from the cocoon of my office until 5:45.


Suzette was ready to start dinner.  Since the wind was blowing strongly, we decided to sauté the steak with mushrooms on the stove rather than grilling it outside.  Suzette slices several portobello mushrooms and sautéed them with the rib steak.  I added a few frozen thyme leaves and ½ shallot to the skillet and after the steak was cooked and removed from the pan, we added some Amontillado sherry to the mushrooms.

I snapped  ½ lb. of green beans and rinsed about 1/3 lb. of prepped asparagus and we steamed them.  Suzette heated about 1 lb. of the PPI lobster, Mac and cheese we made last Saturday and I opened a bottle of 2016 Chateau Saint Hubert Grand Cru Saint-Emilion.  It was a dark mellow merlot with infinite depth and long a lasting flavor on the back of the tongue that only got more fruity as it opened up.

The steak was cooked to medium medium rare.





We loved dinner and both felt that the lobster Mac and cheese tasted better upon re-heating. 

After dinner I ate a chocolate chip cookie with a cup of Earl Grey tea and a sniffer with an oz. of Calvados, as we watched the Antiques Roadshow and the Patriots beat the Jets with 3 seconds to play.

We went to bed at 9:30.

Bon Appetit







No comments:

Post a Comment