Saturday, November 28, 2020

November 27, 2020 Brunch – New Recipe – Sausage, onion, egg and cheese omelet flour tortilla taco with guacamole. Dinner – Poached Salmon with Mashed Potatoes and Creamed Spinach

 November 27, 2020 Brunch – New Recipe – Sausage, onion, egg and cheese omelet flour tortilla taco with guacamole. Dinner – Poached Salmon with Mashed Potatoes and Creamed Spinach

Another interesting day of food. We usually eat PPI’s every other day, so this was an anything besides turkey  day.

At 10:00 I decided to make a sort of burrito , but it turned into a three egg omelet of onion, sausage, egg and cheddar cheese that I was able t flip and brown on both sides, which made it easy to cut.  I cut it in half and each half perfectly fit into a toasted flour tortilla folded around the 1/2..  I garnished the top with Cholula and guacamole and ate it with a knife and fork with a cup of camomile tea.  Suzette ate her ½ in a toasted tortilla, but like a sandwich held in her hand. I count this as a new recipe because of the use of a legitimate French omelet as the filling for a flour tortilla, a much more elegant and stiff dish. This burrito reminds me of my favorite that we had in San Diego once where we ate a chili relleno burrito that similarly wrapped a toasted flour tortilla around a fried chili relleno.


      

We worked after brunch until 2:30 when I drank a cup of tea and a pecan dream and a chocolate chocolate chip cookie.  

 At 3:30 the mail arrived, bringing the rent check from Ultra Health.  I showered and dressed and took the 

check to the bank and then drove to Sprouts on Coors to do some shopping because Jody told me to drive the Prius and because the new Sprouts is my favorite grocery store and we needed a fresh green vegetable for dinner.  

I first went to the meat counter and saw both fresh Salmon, Italian sausages, and tuna were on sale, so I bought a tuna steak, a salmon fillet and four Italian sweet sausages.  Then I went looking for green vegetables and bought 2 bunches of lovely thick asparagus, a bag of fresh green beans, 4 beautiful hot 

  house tomatoes, and a bunch of spinach to make my favorite salmon dish, poached salmon with spinach in cream sauce made with the poaching liquid.  

 I then saw that there were large bunches of dill weed, so I decided that since salmon was on sale if I bought another salmon fillet I could make three meals with salmon: Poached Salmon, Gravad Lax, and Sashimi with fresh tuna, salmon, and thawed scallops. I then picked up a container of plain yogurt and then went back to the meat counter and picked up another salmon fillet for a great day of food shopping with lots of fresh fish and vegetables.

 When I returned home around 5:15 I cut two salmon fillets to fit a 9 x 9 inch Pyrex baking dish, two nice fillets for dinner and bagged the two tails for Sashimi. 

Suzette took over in the kitchen and made a poaching medium with water, white wine, garlic, and butter and poached the salmon.  While the salmon was cooking she de-stemmed and rinsed and spun the spinach 

and then made a roux with butter and flour.   

She removed the salmon from the deep sided skillet she poached them in and added enough roux to create a cream sauce plus some milk and Amontillado sherry.  I poured glasses of rose from Provence and Suzette re-heated the PPI mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving Dinner.



 

  

 

We skinned the poached salmon fillets to eliminate the scales.  Then Suzette spooned a small pile of mashed potatoes into the center of a pasta bowl.  Then we arranged the poached salmon fillets on top of the potatoes and Suzette spooned the Creamed Spinach on top of the salmon.  Suzette’s favorite condiment to eat with salmon is cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving, so we put out a molded cone of cranberry sauce.  Since we had an open ½ bottle of French rose from Provence we poured out that and had a rather pink meal 

After the meal we watched the Great British Baking Show and since the show was devoted to chocolate, we opened the box of Belgium chocolates Suzette bought at Costco last week and I poured each of us a sniffer of cognaWe savored the lovely decorated fresh chocolates as we watched the bakers baking and decorating with chocolate.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment