Sunday, November 15, 2020

November 14, 2020 Lunch – bagel, cream cheese, tomato slices, capers, red onion, Gravad Lax and Whitefish Dinner – Foil wrapped baked Grouper with vegetables and rice

November 14, 2020 Lunch – bagel, cream cheese, tomato slices, capers, red onion, Gravad Lax and Whitefish   Dinner – Foil wrapped baked Grouper with vegetables and rice

Today was mote about the Santa Fe Art Auction than the food, although we had one of our favorite Mexican fish dishes for dinner.

I worked from 8:00 until 11:30. Then I toasted two slices of bagel, spread them with cream cheese, lay slices of red onion on them, then lay slices of Whitefish on one and Gravad Lax on the other plus slices of tomato and a few capers on the Lax bagel.  I drank a glass of Clamato with the juice of ½ lime squeezed into it.  This was the same brunch Suzette made except she drank a Bloody Mary with hers and only ate Gravad Lax .

After lunch I watched TCU get beaten badly by West Virginia and then I went to the bedroom and napped with Suzette.

At 2:00 she turned on the Santa Fe Art Auction.  She had connected her computer to the Big screen TV in the bedroom and she sat at a table in front of the TV where her computer was sitting from which she was connected to the Auction and could bid.  I continued to lie in bed with a perfect view of the Auction.  While I was working in the morning Suzette bought a large painting by a NM female artist.  There was one piece That caught my eye yesterday when we were viewing the auction items in Santa Fe, a 1937 portrait of a northern New Mexican Hispanic man by BJO Nordfeldt. When I say caught my eye, I mean it.  I was walking along a wall full of paintings and saw the Portrait out of the corner of my eye and my vision seized upon it.  There were three Nordfeldt, but this was the one I wanted, even though I was the second portrait I have ever bought.

 I first ran into Nordfeldt’s name when I heard he taught Art at UT in Austin.  I bought the picture today at the auction from my bed with Suzette bidding for me.  Then tonight I read about Nordfeldt and found out that he was a elected a member of the Taos Society of Artists in 1921. 

I am thrilled to have a decent work by Nordfeldt. I previously bought a small pastel by him that is very unimpressive.

  When the auction ended at 4:30 we went to the kitchen and made ourselves gin and tonics and snack onBoursin and crackers and then cook.  We had decided to bake the 1 lb. pink Grouper steak we bought 

yesterday at Talin Market in foil.  

Suzette said she wanted to use lots of vegetables, including some leek, yellow squash, tomato, red bell pepper, a sweet chili from our garden, garlic, and asparagus.  While I chopped the leek and filleted the fish, Suzette chopped vegetables and I then made rice.

Suzette lay the fish fillets on a Hoja santa leaf on two pieces of aluminum foil and added the vegetables plus pads of butter and some Chardonnay.  Then she crimped and sealed each layer of aluminum separately to form two sealed pockets. The second pocket prevents leakage from the first pocket, which often is forced open by the cooking heat.

Tonight everything went perfectly except we each felt the sauce lacked richness, so we added dabs of salt, butter and sour cream to made a slightly creamy sauce.


 
 










  After dinner we watched the last episode of Emily in Paris and a couple of episodes of Queen’s Gambit on Netflix and ate ice cream sundaes with maraschino cherries and chocolate syrup then went to bed, except I stayed up and watched Jackie Venson on Austin City Limits, a killer guitar player,  and an old SNL from about a month ago.

We could not sleep, so I finished this blog after midnight.


There is a problem getting our art work because the Governor has shut down all non-essential businesses as of Monday.


Bon Appetit 


No comments:

Post a Comment