Monday, November 23, 2020

November 22, 2020 Lunch – Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup Dinner – Stir Fried Rice with Yellowtail, Mushrooms, Taka Choy, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn, and onion

 November 22, 2020 Lunch – Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup  Dinner – Stir Fried Rice with Yellowtail, Mushrooms, Taka Choy, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn, and onion

I awakened at 6:30 and watched the news shows until 10:00. I then watched Leeds lose t Arsenal for a few minutes. Then I helped Suzette move items in the basement from the side she intended to paint the floor of.  

When I came upstairs I made Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup with the PPI chicken and broth and mirepoix plus a bundle os Savoy cabbage leaves sliced int bite-sized pieces, dehydrated chicken stock, a Pho seasoning cube, a medium shallot, four mushrooms sliced, four baby corn cobs sliced into ½ inch lengths, a heaping T. of white miso, and the remaining ¾ lb. of fresh fresh rice vermicelli in the three quart sauce pan filled to 2/3 with water.  As it turned out I should have used a four quart pan because as the noodles absorbed water and expanded, I had to keep adding water as we ate some noodles and stock. So after three bowls of noodles I ended up with almost as much noodle soup as there was after we ate out lunch.

After lunch I watched Liverpool trounce Leicester 3 -0 and then Zoomed for an hour with the family and talked to Willy for a while as he ate some of the tomato, leek, and goat cheese tart with a glass of Tavel and did his laundry.

After Willy left and Suzette finished paying the invoices, she went to the kitchen and made four dozen of her favorite cookie, small pecan pies made in a small muffin cup. She made a pie dough, roasted and chopped pecans and made a brown sugar and cream cheese filling.  After pressing a ball of dough into each small muffin holder she smoothed the dough to fill the edges of the cup and then filled each with chopped pecans and filling and baked the cookie filled muffin tins until the pie crust turned golden brown.


While she was baking we decided to combine the two pieces of PPI sautéed yellow tail from last night’s fish in lettuce wrap dinner and the earlier PPI rice and stir fried beef and pork and vegetables to make make a new fish fried rice.  I sliced the last 1/8 of an onion, the last 4 oz. of white Beech Mushrooms, about ½ T. of ginger, four small cloves of garlic, and fetched a small can of bamboo shoots cut into strips, I diced the fish and separated the white stems of two bunches of taka Choy from the green leaves.


I also made a seasoning sauce by combining the Vietnamese fish sauce I made last night with about 1 T. of soy, 3 T. of Chinese Cooking wine, ¼ cup of water, 1 tsp. of sesame oil, and 1 T. of cornstarch.


As Suzette and I traded places in front of the stove as she baked her cookies, I stir fried the hard ingredients in my wok with 1 T. of peanut oil and 1 tsp. of sesame oil.


I then added the PPI rice and beef and vegetables and a little more peanut oil to help break up the congealed rice nodules.  After another couple of minutes I added the mushrooms and fish and then in another couple of minutes the green leaves of taka choy.


Finally , when the green leaves had wilted a bit I added the seasoning sauce and cooked the dish until the sauce thickened.


Suzette fetched two Modelo Especials from the garage and chop sticks and I served us each a plate of the fish fried rice.


We enjoyed the relatively light meal with the light Pilsner beer.  After dinner Suzette gave me a pecan pie tart to try.  It was delicious although a little dry.


I later ate two chocolate chip cookies  with a cup of tea.


It looks like we are officially getting into the Christmas spirit.  Suzette asked Willy to help put up our artificial Christmas tomorrow night when he returns for his clean clothes.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment