Thursday, July 25, 2024

July 24, 2024 Breakfast - Bagel and Lax.Lunch - Bobcat Bites Jambo Dinner ~ Texas Law School reunion at Santa Fe Railyard at Nuckolls Brewery

July 24, 2024 Breakfast - Bagel and Lax.Lunch - Bobcat Bites Jambo Dinner ~ Texas Law School reunion at Santa Fe Railyard at Nuckolls Brewery


The day started at 4:30 when I prepared and filed Notices of Non-availability in two cases. 


Then at 6:30 I drove to Pres for an appointment that ended at 7:30.


I drove home and toasted a slice of bagel and spread it with cream cheese and garnished it with slices of red onion, Gravad Lax, and capers and drank Earl Grey tea with it.




Then at 9:30 I drove to Bobcat Bites near Eldorado at 418 Old Las Vegas Hwy. north of Santa Fe.


Four other book club members arrived by 11:30 and many other customers arrived also. Many ordered hamburgers but I ordered the East African Coconut Lentil Stew with basmati rice and a glass of South African Rose’ wine.





I enjoyed the vegetable stew with lots of strong cumin flavor and just a hint of picante chili flavor.


After lunch we followed Pradip to his house in Eldorado for our club meeting to discuss We by Yevegeny Zamyatin written in Russia in 1920.


The book is a satirical fantastic sci-fi history of society set 1000 years in the future of a autocracy ruled by the Great Leader. The most important literary element is elaborate punctuation that breaks sentences in a staccato effect that gives the reader insight into the workings of a narrator’s thoughts. Zamyatin called this writing technique “thought language”.

Pradip had ordered a special spice cake from Chocolate Maven for the occasion that we ate after the discussion with glasses of a lovely Argentinian red blend of cab Sauvignon, cab. Franc, and Malbec, a 2019 Unanime, that scored between 90 and 94 points.





We sat and talked until 5:40 when I said goodbye and drove to the Railyard to Nuckoll’s Brewery for a reception for the University of Texas Law School Dean who is on tour this Summer. As soon as I arrived and served a spiced apple cider, I saw a person who looked a lot like Mike Runnels and I said, “Hi”.


I soon discovered that the person was Bill Banowsky, the owner with his wife, Susan (the Texas Law grad) of Nuckolls Brewery and several other properties in the Railyard and the train.


When I told him I was a real property lawyer, he hired me on the spot to assist him in a current dispute with the Santa Fe Railyard Authority.


There was a brief presentation by Dean Bobby Chesney about the trajectory of the Law School and a buffet dinner of grilled corn beef slices, roasted potatoes, and salad.  I ate mine with a fried dill pickle and listened to two recent graduates describe their experience of attending law school during Covid.


                           Dean Chesney and Bill Banowsky entertain with a guitar duo


I drove home at 8:00 after a pleasant evening with fellow graduates and a new client.


When I got home I was able to see President Biden give his withdrawal speech from the Oval Office.


Bon Appetit  

No comments:

Post a Comment