Tuesday, July 23, 2024

July 23, 2024 Breakfast - Sausage and fried eggs and toast. Lunch - PPI fried rice with steak, chicken and peas Dinner - Lamb burger pita sandwiches with Tzatziki and sautéed yellow squash and kale

July 23, 2024 Breakfast - Sausage and fried eggs and toast. Lunch - PPI  fried rice with steak, chicken and peas Dinner - Lamb burger pita sandwiches with Tzatziki and sautéed yellow squash and kale


Recently I had been feeling weakness in my muscles in the morning that lasted through lunch or even dinner as I accumulated carbs and protein. So today I decided to implement a reverse strategy. I fixed a large breakfast with lots of carbs and protein. I sautéed a sausage patty, two eggs over easy, and a slice of yellow onion and then washed that down with a cup of Earl grey tea and then toasted two slices of baguette and spread butter and plum jam on them. I felt none of the usual tiredness after breakfast that lasted through lunch when I ate my small amount of leftover dinner from last night, fried rice with steak, chicken, and snow peas.


I was still on a protein high at 2:30, so I drove to El Super and shopped. I bought three small avocados, two leeks, yellow and red onions, lemons and limes, yellow squash, broccoli, romaine lettuce, carrots, three chicken leg quarters, a bunch of beets, a bag of cherries, a 1/2 gallon of fresh squeezed orange juice, 2 cucumbers, and a lb. bag of house made corn chips.  


I returned home at 3:30 and Suzette helped me take in the groceries. And I drafted and filed a notice of non-availability in one of my cases.


At 4:50 I meditated for 30 minutes and then lay down but shortly after I lay down around 5:30 Suzette came to ask me to start dinner.  We had planned to use the remaining 1 lb. of ground lamb to cook lamb burgers.  I wanted to make tzatziki to go with the lamb and Suzette wanted to make a real burger by putting the burger into a pita pocket and adding tzatziki.

 I wanted a vegetable and we soon agreed to sautée a diced yellow squash with chopped kale from our garden.


Suzette and I agreed that we wanted to add additional ingredients to the lamb burger to make it less dense, so Suzette added some pork sausage to add some fat and I went to the garden and cut about 8 to 10 stalks of mint and three stalks of oregano plus two roses that I put in a vase on Suzette’s side table.


Suzette fetched me a head of our recently harvested garlic and a shallot and I minced the shallot and added most of it to the lamb burger pot with a minced clove of garlic and 2 T. of minced mint leaves and 2 T. of minced oregano that Suzette then added two or three whisked eggs to and mixed the ingredients and formed three burgers.


I then put the remaining T. of shallot and 3 T. of minced mint into a bowl and added 2 small minced cloves of garlic, 1 cucumber peeled, seeded, and diced, 1 tsp. of salt, and 1 cup of creamy Lala yogurt to make the tzatziki.


Suzette sautéed the Lamb burgers and the diced squash and chopped kale in separate skillets and fetched a bottle of Vara Albariño from the garage fridge. Suzette cut a pita in half to form two semi-circular pockets that I warmed to make it easier to open the pita without tearing the walls of the pita. Suzette plated our plates with the sautéed vegetables and a pita pocket filled with a burger. We each added some tzatziki to the pocket around the edges of the burger.


Dinner was delicious and I suffered no ill effects. I even ate some chocolate truffle and cherry ice cream garnished with several of Suzette’s homemade maraschino cherries and some of the alcoholic liquid in which they are packed.


We went to bed at 9:00 after watching Finding Your Roots and several comedians on You Tube tell jokes about Biden’s withdrawal and the effect on Trump’s candidacy, including Colbert and Bill Maher. Colbert’s comment, “There will be entire history books written about July 2024”, I thought was particularly prescient.


Suzette went to bed at 9:00 and I showered and blogged and went to bed by 11:00.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment