Thursday, December 1, 2022

December 1, 2022 Lunch - Leftover Beef Hot Pot and Shrimp. Dinner - Leftover Pot Roast with roasted root vegetables and Horseradish Sauce

December 1, 2022 Lunch - Leftover Beef Hot Pot and Shrimp. Dinner - Leftover Pot Roast with roasted root vegetables and Horseradish Sauce


The theme of the day’s food is “Everything is better leftover.”


Today I watched Argentina beat Poland to advance to the Group of 16 at 1:00 a.m.


Then I went back to bed and slept until 8:00.


I showered and dressed and watched the two morning matches and at 10:00, when the matches ended, I met with Ken when I ate a blueberry fig bar with a cup of chai.


Then at 11.55 I heated the leftover Beef Hot Pot ingredients with the Shrimp and rice from yesterday’s lunch with Rahim. It tasted better today because there was no shouting coming from the kitchen as there was yesterday at Nio Szechuan Restaurant to upset me.


I then discussed filing with Bill a Response to a motion for oral argument in the water case and drafted one and filed it just before 4:00.


When I filed it I received a call from Rahim telling me he was on my porch so I made two cups of chai and met with him for 30 minutes.


As he left Suzette arrived with groceries from Costco.


I had a couple more phone calls until 6:00 before my work day was finished.


Suzette asked what I wanted for dinner and I said, “The leftover pot roast and roasted vegetables that by now had become stewed in their own juices.


Suzette brought in the casserole with the pot roast and vegetables and started heating it on the stove and then got busy making a cheese cake for the Bistro, so I decided to make the horseradish sauce for the pot roast that we like as a condiment.


I poured out the last 1/4 of heavy cream and added about 1/4 cup of sour cream and 1 T. of grated horseradish, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, Cholulu hot sauce, and salt and whipped those ingredients into a thick creamy sauce.


I then sliced the remaining 1 lb. of pot roast into slices and lay them in the vegetable stew to absorb some of the vegetable broth to soften and flavor the meat.


I then went in search of a wine and found a 2016 Spanish red Reserva produced by     , opened it , and put it on the table with two wine glasses.


I also sliced a piece of baguette and toasted it and also sliced and stored the fresh baguette Suzette purchased today in a freezer bag. 


After Suzette put the cheese cake into the oven, she served a slice of pot roast covered with a layer of stewed root vegetables for dinner and poured the wine and we added spoonfuls of the horseradish sauce to our bowls to  flavor our food.


After dinner Suzette brought me the wedge of brie cheese and butter and toasted another slice of baguette  and we had a cheese course with the last sips of wine. The Spanish wine was a 50/50 blend of bobal and Tempranillo grapes that produced a light, smooth wine not unlike a good Pinot, so it went well with the cheese. 




While we were watching the news CNN showed photos of the dishes served at the State Dinner for President Macron and a slice of Humboldt Fog was on the cheese course.  There was some controversy over the lobster dish combining a table interlaced with a large claw sauced with what appeared to be a beurre Blanc sauce that I did not fully understand but looked beautifully presented.


Later as we watched TV, Suzette drank cognac and I drank Calvados and we ate several Belgium chocolates for dessert to finish our three course French meal.


We went to bed at 9:00 and slept until 11:45 when I finished this blog and read a bit.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment