Monday, October 10, 2022

October 10, 2022 Breakfast - Gravad Lax, red onion slices, and capers on toasted bagel spread with cream cheese. Dinner - Beef and Barley soup with melted cheese sandwich

October 10, 2022 Breakfast - Gravad Lax, red onion slices, and capers on toasted bagel spread with cream cheese. Dinner - Beef and Barley soup with melted cheese sandwich 


Another 2 1/2 meal day.


 I ate a breakfast of Gravad Lax, red onion slices, and capers on toasted bagel spread with cream cheese and a cup of chai.


I started to walk to the bank until I realized it was a bank holiday for Columbus Day and Indigenous people’s Day. The garden was lovely with all the zinnias in full bloom so I took this picture. 




Then I helped Willy complete his taxes.


At 2:00 I watched a bit of the Aston Villa v. Nottingham PL match.


Suzette came home around 2:30 wanting to use the leftover grilled steak to make beef and barley soup.


I chopped celery, a carrot, and 1/2 on a yellow onion and the steak.


Suzette made the stock with better than bouillon and added all the chopped ingredients plus some dried barley, dried green wheat, and mung dahl to the soup.


We rested until 4:00 when I had a bowl of soup. We both agreed it lacked flavor, so we decided to add sautéed mushrooms and fresh thyme.


Suzette went to the garden and picked several sprigs of thyme while I minced a clove of garlic and sliced six mushrooms.  Suzette sautéed the garlic and mushrooms in butter and olive oil while I de-stemmed the tiny thyme leaves.  When the mushrooms were cooked Suzette added them and the thyme leaves to the soup and simmered it another hour.


Suzette soaked in the hot tub and I went for a walk around 6:15.



We ate dinner of soup and I made melted cheese sandwiches by toasting a whole wheat dinner roll sliced in half and then melting slices of Jarlsberg cheese on the rolls n the microwave.


 Suzette ate Italian bread sticks with dinner as we began watching Antiques Roadshow at 7:00.


At 8:00 a repeat came on and Suzette went to bed, since she is still feeling jet lag.  I stayed up to watch Lawrence O’Donnell and Monday Night Football and ate a bowl of chocolate ice cream.


I went to bed at 9:45 to blog and read.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment