Sunday, September 25, 2022

September 25, 2022 Breakfast - Bagel, lax, cream cheese, red onion and capers. Lunch - Museum Hill Restaurant. Dinner - Chicken, mushrooms onions, zucchini, and Poblano Chile on Truffle linguini.

September 25, 2022 Breakfast - Bagel, lax, cream cheese, red onion and capers. Lunch - Museum Hill Restaurant. Dinner - Chicken, mushrooms onions, zucchini, and Poblano Chile on Truffle linguini.


What a fabulous day of food.  I think I ate the perfect balance of carbohydrates (70%) and Protein (30%) for all three meals and my pain seems to have diminished.  I also got some exercise.


I awakened at 7:30 but Suzette slept until 10:15, which could be a record for her of around 10 hours and one-half hours. 


For breakfast at 9:30 I toasted the last two Sara Lee plain bagel slices and spread cream cheese on the and lay thin slices of red onion and lax on them and garnished them with capers.  I drank a cup of chai.


At 11:00 we drove to Museum Hill in Santa Fe to meet Linda and T.R for lunch at the Museum Hill Restaurant.


We like them a lot and always have interesting and wide ranging conversations.


I tried to order a Cobb Salad but when the waitress said they were out of crumbed blue cheese and Bleu cheese dressing I switched to a Reuben Sandwich.  Suzette ordered the baked polenta that turned out to be dried out and flavorless.  Linda and TR ordered crab cakes that turned out to be the best choice.  


The wine experience was the best experience of the day.  Linda ordered a Chardonnay but I noticed Nortico Albariño on the menu and ordered because i had tasted it on Wednesday at the wine and Chile to the trade tasting and it was my favorite white wine, so I ordered a glass of it and encouraged Linda to switch to it.


When glasses of it were served it tasted flat and did not have the floral nose or effervescent and bright fruitiness.  After a few minutes I took my glass back and told our waitress it was not right and asked her if the bottle that she poured from had been open.  She said it was a fresh bottle.  I said, “Then that bottle is no good.  I asked her to pour me a glass from a fresh bottle and when she did the effervescent and fruity flavor exploded out of the glass. I also noticed and pointed out to her that the color of the first bad bottle was noticeably a darker yellow, which is a sure sign of oxidation.


She brought Linda fresh of the new bottle and Linda noticed the difference.


I am not sure how it happened but our waitress poured us each another glass of Nortico toward the end of the meal, perhaps help us forget the bad first pour.


Linda is on the board of the Folk Art Museum and her Museum Hill membership card garnered a 10% discount on the check.  So the meal turned out to be wonderful.


After lunch we all walked to the Indian Museum at the north end of the Plaza and they each used their card to admit Suzette and me as their guests.  They went ahead but Suzette and I looked at all the exhibits.  There was a big pot exhibit originated by this museum that will tour the U.S. starting next year named Grounded in Clay which contains hundreds of pots, both ancient and modern.


We coincidentally met Megan and her daughter in the exhibit, which made me realize that Megan is really a diehard craft person.


The sky was beautiful as we left the Museum.





After the exhibit we drove to Stephen’s Consignment, but did not see anything we wanted to buy.


Suzette then drove us home.


We arrived about 5:00.  I lay down and Suzette watched home remodeling shows on HGTV.


I got up around 6:30 and we discussed what to prepare. Suzette finally came up with an idea, chicken Alfredo over pasta.  Besides chicken I chopped 1/2 Poblano chili, seven or eight portobello mushrooms, 1/2 onion, two cloves of garlic, a zucchini, and destemmed a pile of fresh greens from our garden.


Suzette showed me several pasta choices until she remembered that Melissa sent Suzette a fancy Truffle linguine in the box of fancy Italian foodstuffs for her birthday.


Suzette boiled the linguini and sautéed the ingredients with a light  and simple cream sauce made by adding a bit of white wine and heavy cream to the ingredients after they were cooked.


Suzette then served pasta bowls filled with a twirl linguine that made it stand up a bit and the sautéed creamed chicken and vegetables.


Suzette then spooned the combination of fresh creamed chicken, with the ingredients and sautéed chard and kale on top of the truffled pasta.  


Suzette add some truffle flavored salt to the dish to amplify the truffle flavor.  We both noticed the truffle flavor and enjoyed the freshness of ingredients.


I grated Pecorino-Romano cheese on top of each of our piles of creamed chicken.


Suzette fetched a bottle of chilled Pinot Grigio ($5.99) at Trader Joe’s that was perfect for the dish because it had a light flavor that did not clash with the subtle flavor of truffles.  


Later Suzette cut us each a slice of the lovely quince tart that she made with fresh quince from her garden at the Center, fresh apples from our garden and raisins with a lovely pie crust made with wine instead of milk with a scoop of vanilla ice cream that we ate with the last glass of Pinot Grigio.


Bon Appetit










No comments:

Post a Comment