Saturday, December 30, 2023

 December 29, 2023 Lunch - Chicken and goat cheese Salad  Dinner - Fried Oyster Salad


Today I tried to eat lightly.  For breakfast I sliced and toasted three slices of a piece of baguette and spread butter and garnish each with a different cheese; raddano, a cheddar, and goat.


I also diced a leek, 1/2 onion, several stalks of celery, and 1 1/2 carrots to flavor the chicken stock. Suzette had filled a pot with water and put a whole chicken.


I returned a Christmas gift to UPS and tried to go to the post office for a money order but the main post office was too crowded and 

Old Town did not have any money orders, so I went home and watched the. Fourth quarter of the best game of the day, Clemson v. Kentucky in which there wee 42 points scored and five lead changes.


Suzette went shopping at Smith’s and found lots of great groceries, such as fresh oysters, lots of marked done cheeses, plus arugula.


Then at 1:30 I made a salad for lunch with a piece of the thigh of the whole chicken we were boiling to make stock for cooking the Fabada beans later in the day.


When Suzette returned from work she brought five bagels and several bottles of red Lustau vermouth.


I dozed from 2:00 until 3:30 when Suzette returned and awakened me.


I decided to walk to the bank and purchase a cashier’s check for the mineral deed filing fee.


When I returned around 4;30 Suzette had started the Fabada beans,   I

also cut a large slab of pork into 1 1/2 inch slices and put them on a cookie sheet that Suzette put in the fridge to dry out overnight.


Dinner -

It was 6:30 and began dinner which was very simple, fried oysters on a bed of arugula dressed with a tartare sauce dressing.


We made a dipping coating of egg and milk and Suzette crushed a packet of saltine crackers for the coating. Unfortunately the crackers were not crushed small enough and there was not a uniform coating, but the oysters fried in canola oil were really delicious, especially with the fresh baby arugula.


I opened a bottle of 2017 De Ponte Melon de Bourgogne white wine that was a strong wine but perfect with the fried oysters.


We watched a charming English movie titled “Bank of Dave” on Netflix and then went to bed at 9:30.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment