Wednesday, February 2, 2022

February 2, 2022 Lunch - Hot Dog at Costco. Dinner - 2000 Vietnam, Flour Sheets with Shrimp paste and Egg Rolls

February 2, 2022 Lunch - Hot Dog at Costco. Dinner - 2000 Vietnam,  Flour Sheets with Shrimp paste and Egg Rolls

Another disastrous day in the market and an eclectic day of food.


I watched the news until 8:30.  Paypal reported lower earnings and that triggered a meltdown in the Fintech stocks such as Square. PayPal fell over $40 and Square fell over $15.00 per share. 


I worked until 9:30 and then dressed and ate a breakfast of granola with milk and blueberries and yogurt.


Then I drove to a podiatry appointment at 11:15.


After the appointment at 11:45 I was hungry, so I drove to Costco and ordered a hot dog and drink for $1.50, my favorite inexpensive meal in town.  I can’t wait until Covid is over so they begin serving chopped onions with the hot dogs again.  At least they now serve pickle relish, mustard, and catsup.


After I ate at Costco I drove to Sarah Kassam’s office for my 1:00 dental appointment.  


I am lucky to have eaten lunch before I went for my filling because my gum was deadened and I could not operate my mouth for several hours after my dental procedure.


After the dental appointment I called in two take out orders of Flour Sheets with Shrimp paste and Egg Rolls to 2000 Vietnam. I drove home after picking up the orders and discovered that Suzette had eaten the last of the PPI duck confit and Raclette potatoes.


Since we had both eaten something for lunch we decided to save the Vietnamese take out for dinner.


When I checked my portfolio at 2:30 not only did I lose what I gained yesterday but Facebook had reported a drop in users, which triggered an after hours sell-off in high tech.  When I went to bed the NASDAQ futures were down 338 points, so tomorrow looks grim also.


Around 4:00 I made a cup of tea and ate a few chocolate chips cookies with the tea.


Around 5:30 we received a phone call from Luke telling us that his new puppy, Cosmo, ran out into the road in front of his house and was so seriously injured by a car that he had to be put down.


It was a very sad conversation. Luke said he may travel to L.A. and New Mexico in the near future now that he is without a pet.


At 6:30 we heated our Flour Sheet with Shrimp paste and Egg Roll dinner.  They don’t look like much but they may be my favorite dish on 2000 Vietnam’s menu.  Flour Sheets with Shrimp paste and Egg Rolls is comprised of three layers, on the bottom is a layer of sautéed mung bean sprouts and cucumber sticks.  The middle layer is steamed 60 to 70 mm. wide rice noodle sheets covering the bottom layer, and the top layer includes two quartered fried egg rolls, five or six slices of fried shrimp paste, and a pile of thinly sliced green onion slices, crushed peanuts, fried onion pieces, and thinly sliced herbs.  It is a cornucopia of different ingredients, textures, and flavors.


The dish includes two small containers of sweetened fish sauce.


The procedure for eating is to dip bites of the flour sheets, egg rolls and shrimp paste into the fish sauce to flavor them and emulsify them and then eat them


We loved this very Vietnamese dinner.


We watched the news and Suzette went to bed at 9:00.


I stayed up to watch a PBS documentary describing the geological history of North America and then went to bed to blog and read this month’s book club selection, The Abstainer by McGuire.


Bon Appetit 






No comments:

Post a Comment